This is a longish piece forwarded to me by an FWer.  I am passing it along
to the list.

arthur cordell

===================

The Nation

February 16, 1998

Broken Faith

Why We Need to Renew the Social Compact

 By Robert B. Reich

Presidents come and go in America these days, but inequality just keeps
rising. A few Democrats mutter about it and a few Republicans even praise
it, but hardly anyone inside the respectable political spectrum is willing
to confront it. In the following contribution to The Nation's "First
Principles" series, former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich locates
political obstacles to tackling the problem and also suggests the economic
and political restructuring necessary to redress it. As the postwar social
compact grows ever more frayed, Reich notes, the problems of the
"down-waging" and "down-benefiting" of America must be placed at the heart
of a democratic politics. --The Editors

At this writing, Bill Clinton has a headache that may or may not prove
fatal to his presidency. But in his State of the Union address he gave a
bravura performance, emphasizing everything that is good about America
today and, by implication, everything that's good about him. And he has
much to brag about: The budget is balanced. Unemployment is down, as is
crime. For the first time in history, this nation has no major rival around
the globe--economically, politically, even ideologically. We are,
indisputably, Number One.

What the President failed to mention, understandably, is that almost seven
years of economic recovery has done remarkably little for people in the
bottom half. Sure, they have jobs, but they had jobs before the last
recession, too. The real news is that the median wage--the take-home pay of
the worker smack in the middle of the earnings ladder--is still less than
it was before the last recession, adjusted for inflation. More people are
in poverty. At the same time, the upper reaches of America have never had
it so good: Their pay and benefits have continued to rise and their stock
and stock options have exploded in value.

The President's pollsters warn him not to mention that America continues to
split. It's not what people want to hear. Remember Carter's "malaise"?
Republicans, for their part, don't feel comfortable talking about it
because they don't have any solutions they find palatable. Corporate
America isn't particularly eager to talk about it or even sponsor
television programs or advertise in magazines that dwell on it.

America is strangely immobilized. Rather than giving us the confidence we
need to move forward, the overall good economic news, combined with a rare
period of world peace and global pre-eminence, seems rather to have
anesthetized us. But what happens when the good times are over? Future
generations looking back on this era will ask why--when today's Americans
had no hot or cold war to fight, no depression or recession to cope with,
no great drain on our resources or our spirits--we did so little. Little,
that is, relative to what the situation demanded. Little, relative to what
we could have done. Did we simply assume that the economic expansion would
last forever, and that the disparities would automatically shrink? Did we
deny the problem to begin with? Or ha d we simply resigned ourselves to the
inevitability of a sharply two-tiered society?

The budget deficit began to vanish last year, even before the White House
and Congress reached agreement on how to make it do so officially.
Corporations and top earners did so well that more tax revenues poured into
the Treasury than had been foreseen. But rather than being dedicated to
what has been most neglected and is most needed--universal health care,
child care, better schools, jobs for the poor who will lose welfare, public
transportation and other means of helping the bottom half of our population
move upward--most of this windfall went to the wealthiest members of our
society in the form of tax cuts.

The proposals put forward by President Clinton in his State of the Union
speech are steps in the right direction but, in truth, their scale is very
small relative to the problems they address. Bolder advances were hoped
for. One must be careful not to sound overly critical. Few things grate
more unpleasantly upon the ear than a liberal whine. Republicans and many
commentators will claim that the President has gone back to his original,
liberal agenda, and will attack him for failing to indicate exactly how he
will pay for what he proposes. He wants to dedicate any budget surplus to
shoring up Social Security. But Social Security is not nearly in the dire
straits some have made it out to be. And--dare we say it again?--deficits
are not bad in and of themselves, certainly not if the money is spent on
making more Americans more productive and fuller members of our society.

The most important thing the United States could achieve now is to get back
on the track we were on during the first three decades after World War II,
toward a more inclusive, more equitable society, in which everyone has a
fair chance of making it. We got off that track in the late seventies and
have veered even further off it since. In the world's pre-eminent
democratic capitalist society, one might have expected just the reverse: As
the economy grew through technological progress and global integration, the
"winners" in the process would compensate the "losers" and still come out
far ahead.

Nations are not passive victims of economic forces. Citizens can, if they
so choose, assert that their mutual obligations extend beyond their
economic usefulness to one another, and act accordingly. Throughout our
history the United States has periodically asserted the public's interest
when market outcomes threatened social peace--curbing the power of the
great trusts, establishing pure food and drug laws, implementing a
progressive federal income tax, imposing a forty-hour workweek, barring
child labor, creating a system of social security, expanding public
schooling and access to higher education, extending health care to the
elderly and so forth. We effected part of this explicitly through laws,
regulations and court rulings, and partly through social norms and
expectations about how we wanted our people to live and work productively
together. In short, this nation developed and refined a strong social
compact that gave force to the simple proposition that prosperity could
include almost everyone. The puzzle is why we seem to have stopped.

Every society possesses a social compact--sometimes implicit, sometimes
spelled out in detail, but usually a mix of both. The compact sets out the
obligations of members of that society toward one another. Indeed, a
society or culture is defined by its social compact. It is found within the
pronouns "we," "our" and "us." We hold these truths to be self-evident; our
peace and freedom are at stake; the problems affect all of us. A
quarter-century ago, when the essential provisions of the American social
compact were taken for granted by American society, there was hardly any
reason to state them. Today, as these provisions wither, they deserve
closer scrutiny.

The first provision pertained to the private sector. As companies do
better, their workers should, too. Wages should rise, as should
employer-provided health and pension benefits, and jobs should be
reasonably secure. This provision of the compact was reinforced by labor
unions, to which, by the mid-fifties, about 35 percent of the
private-sector work force belonged. But it was enforced in the first
instance by public expectations. We were all in it together and as a result
grew together. It would be unseemly for a company whose profits were
increasing to fail to share its prosperity with its employees and the
communities in which they lived. The job of management, proclaimed Frank
Abrams, chairman of Standard Oil of New Jersey, in a 1951 address that was
typical of the era, is to maintain "an equitable and working balance among
the claims of the various directly interested  groups...stockholders,
employees, customers and the public at large. Business managers are gaining
in professional status partly because they see in their work the basic
responsibilities [to the public] that other professional men have long
recognized in theirs."

The second provision of the social compact was social insurance, through
which Americans pooled their resources against the risk that any one of
us--through illness or bad luck--might become impoverished. Hence,
unemployment insurance; Social Security for the elderly and disabled; aid
to widows, which became Aid to Families with Dependent Children; and
Medicaid and Medicare. "Cradle to grave," Franklin Roosevelt told my
predecessor Frances Perkins, "from the cradle to the grave they ought to be
in a social insurance system." Roosevelt failed to recognize that handouts
might have negative side effects, such as deterring some poor people from
trying to fend on their own, or creating some middle-class retirees who
regarded the "insurance" as an entitlement, or giving rise to large
bureaucracies to administer all of it. Still, for most of the next
half-century, most Americans agreed that people who worked hard, or wanted
to work hard but nonetheless fell on their faces, should be helped out.

The third provision was the promise of a good education. The national role
began in the nineteenth century with the Morrill Act, establishing
land-grant colleges. In the early decades of this century a national
movement swept across America to create free high school education through
the twelfth grade for every young person. After the Second World War, the
G.I. Bill made college a reality for millions of returning veterans. Other
young people gained access to advanced education through a vast expansion
of state-subsidized public universities and community colleges. In the
fifties our collective conscience, embodied in the Supreme Court, finally
led us to resolve that all children, regardless of race, must have the
same--not separate--educational opportunities.

It is important to understand what this social compact was and what it was
not. It defined our sense of fair play, but it was not primarily about
redistributing wealth. There would still be the rich and the poor in
America. The compact merely proclaimed that at some fundamental level we
were all in it together, that as a society we depended on one another. The
economy could not prosper unless vast numbers of employees had more money
in their pockets. None of us could be economically secure unless we shared
the risks of economic life. A better-educated work force was in all our
interests.

The unraveling began in the late seventies and early eighties, and
continues today. Consider first what has happened to the notion that as
companies do better, their workers should too. Profitable companies now
routinely downsize their work forces, or they resort to what might be
called "down-waging" and "down-benefiting." Layoffs in the current
expansion are occurring at an even higher rate than in the expansion of the
eighties. Companies are replacing full-time workers with independent
contractors, temporary workers and part-timers; they are bringing in new
full-time workers at lower wage scales than current workers, or are
subcontracting the work to smaller firms offering lower wages and benefits.
Employer-provided health benefits are declining across the bo ard, and
health costs are being shifted to employees in the form of higher
co-payments, deductibles and premiums. Defined-benefit pension plans are
giving way to 401(k) plans without employer contributions, or to no
pensions at all. Meanwhile, beginning in the early eighties, U.S. companies
began battling against unionization with more ferocity than at any time in
the past half-century. The adjusted incidence of companies illegally firing
their employees for trying to organize unions increased from 8 percent in
the early seventies to around 30 percent in the early eighties, where it
has more or less remained.

The relentless drive among American companies to reduce their labor costs
is understandable. Competition is more treacherous in the new economy,
where large size and low unit costs no longer guarantee competitive
advantage, and where institutional investors demand instant performance.
Yet it is also the case that the compensation of senior management and
professional and highly skilled technical workers has escalated in recent
years. In large companies, top executive compensation has been increasing
for more than a decade at the rate of more than 10 percent per year, after
inflation. And although these executives have no greater job security than
others, when they lose their jobs it is not uncommon for them to receive
"golden parachutes" studded with diamonds.

The second provision of the social compact--that of social insurance--is
also breaking down. We see evidence of this in those who have been asked to
bear the largest burden in balancing the budget--disproportionately the
poor and near poor, whose programs have borne the largest cuts.
Unemployment insurance now covers a smaller proportion of workers than it
did twenty years ago--now, only 35 percent of the unemployed. Even before
welfare "reform," welfare payments were shrinking in many states. In fact,
the entire idea of a common risk pool is now under assault. Proposals are
being floated for the wealthier and healthier to opt out. Whether in the
form of private "medical savings accounts" to replace Medicare, or
"personal security accounts" to replace Social Security, the effect would
be much the same: The wealthier and healthier would no longer share the
risk with those who have a much higher probability of being sicker and
poorer.

The third part of the social compact, access to a good education, is also
under severe strain. The Clinton Administration has expanded opportunities
at the federal level--more Pell grants and low-interest direct loans for
college, school-to-work apprenticeships, tax breaks for education and
training. But the federal government still accounts for only 8 cents of
every public dollar spent on primary and secondary school education in the
United States; states and localities divide the rest. As Americans
increasingly segregate by level of income into different townships, local
tax bases in poorer areas cannot support the quality of schooling available
to the wealthier. Public expenditures per pupil are significantly lower in
school districts in which the median household income is less than $20,000
than in districts in which the median is $35,000 or more--even though the
challenge of educating poorer children, many of whom are immigrants with
poor English language skills or who have other social or behavioral
problems, is surely greater than the challenge of educating children from
more affluent households. De facto racial segregation has become the norm
in many large metropolitan areas.

Across the United States, state-subsidized higher education is waning under
severe budget constraints, and its cost has risen three times faster than
median family income. Elite colleges and universities are abandoning
need-blind admissions policies, by which they guaranteed that any qualified
student could afford to attend. Young people from families with incomes in
the top 25 percent are three times more likely to go to college than are
young people from the bottom quarter, and the disparity is increasing.

Why is the social compact coming undone--especially at a time when it's
most needed? I do not have a clear answer, but I do have several
hypotheses. The first is that Americans no longer face the common perils of
depression, hot war or cold war that were defining experiences for the
generations that reached adulthood between the thirties and the sixties.
Each of these events posed a threat to American society and culture. Each
was experienced directly or indirectly by virtually all Americans. Under
such circumstances, it was not difficult to sense mutual dependence and to
conceive of a set of responsibilities shared by all members, which exacted
certain sacrifices for the common good. Today, fewer Americans remember
these events or the social bonding that accompanied them. Peace and
prosperity are wonderful, but they do not necessarily pull citizens
together in common cause.

Second, in the new global economy, those who are more skilled, more
talented or simply wealthier are not as economically dependent on the local
or regional economy surrounding them as they once were, and thus have less
selfish interest in insuring that their fellow inhabitants are as
productive as possible. Alexis de Tocqueville noted that the better-off
Americans he met in his travels of the 1830s invested in their communities
because they knew they would reap some of the gains from the resulting
economic growth--in contrast to Europe's traditions of honor, duty and
noblesse oblige. "The Americans...are fond of explaining almost all the
actions of their lives by the principle of self-interest rightly
understood," he said. "They show with complacency how an enlightened regard
for themselves constantly prompts them to assist one another and inclines
them willingly to sacrifice a portion of their time and property to the
welfare of the state." Today, increasingly, the geographic community where
a person lives is of less consequence to his or her economic well-being.
It's now possible to be linked directly by modem and fax to the great
financial or commercial centers of the world.

Third, any social compact is premised on "it could happen to me" thinking.
Social insurance assumes that certain risks are commonly shared. Today's
wealthy and poor, however, are likely to have markedly different life
experiences. Disparities have grown so large that even though some of the
rich (or their children) may become poor and some of the poor (or their
children) will get rich, the chances of either occurring are less than they
were several decades ago. The wealthy are no longer under a "veil of
ignorance" about their futures, to borrow philosopher John Rawls's
felicitous phrase, and they know that any social compact is likely to be
one-sided: They will be required to subsidize those who are poorer.

A final point: People at or near the top, or even in the upper tiers,
simply don't see that much of the bottom half anymore. Separated
geographically, economically and culturally, the poorer members of society
have all but disappeared. The people who produce or talk on the TV shows,
who write the editorials and columns and who raise the money for political
candidates have no reason to suppose that so many people in this country
are still having a hard time of it. Marketeers and advertisers don't pay
much attention to them because they have little buying power relative to
the people in the top half. Pollsters don't pay much attention because they
vote far less than the people in the top half. The people they do see or
pay attention to are doing just fine, some of them extraordinarily well. So
it's easy to conclude that everything is going fine for everyone.

Perhaps all these hypotheses are at work, to some degree. But there should
be no doubt that, unchecked, the disintegration of the social compact
threatens the stability and moral authority of this nation. It even
threatens continued economic growth. Those who bear a  disproportionate
share of the burdens and risks of growth but enjoy few if any of the
benefits will not passively accept their fates. Unless they feel some stake
in economic growth, they are likely to withdraw their tacit support for
free trade, capital mobility, relatively open immigration, deregulation and
similar aspects of open economies that generate growth but that
simultaneously impose losses and insecurities on them.

Now, when the economy is performing well, is the time to re-knit the social
compact. Start with a more progressive income tax--at all levels of
government. Then put more resources into schools serving the bottom half
(sure, give parents a choice of public or charter schools, and even try
vouchers, but give kids from poor and working-class families especially big
vouchers with a lot of money backing them up). Give working parents
refundable tax credits for what they spend on daycare. Require companies to
pay a minimum health care wage of at least one dollar per hour for health
insurance, and to pay proportionally the same tax-free fringe benefits they
give their top executives to their front-line workers and their part-timers
and contract workers. Make it harder for them to fire workers for forming
unions. Require them to devote a tiny (one and a half) percent of their
payrolls to upgrading the skills of their employees, or contribute the
difference to a common fund to upgrade the skills of everyone who needs it.
I offer these as a sampling; the nation is not wanting in good ideas.

But the real job of re-knitting the social fabric has to begin where the
threads start. That means getting more people involved in the gritty, grimy
job of politics starting at the local level, where every year there are
close to 90,000 races--the overwhelming majority of them nonpartisan--for
offices like school board and city council. It means convincing good people
to run for office, maybe running yourself, getting on the phone, getting
out the vote, mobilizing your friends and acquaintances; creating strong
local alliances among the poor, the near poor, unionized and nonunionized
hourly workers, religious groups, community-based groups, universities and
others. And it means committing time and effort to initiatives that stress
values--that have a message, not just a program. Leadership does not depend
for its efficacy upon holding a formal position of authority. True
leadership is a matter of keeping people's attention focused on the
problems they would rather avoid, and it can be exercised by anyone. We
seem to have too many people in formal positions of authority who are not
leading, and too many at the grassroots resigned to the way things are.

The current trends--the bottom half going nowhere while the top soars, a
waning social compact--is not sustainable. When the current expansion
slows, those who are barely staying afloat or who are sinking will not
remain silent. Yet by that time, I fear, their voices may resound not to
progressive ideals but to the virulent politics of resentment. History
yields ample warnings. The social compact is a promise we made to one
another, and we are not keeping it when we can most afford to.

Robert B. Reich, University Professor of Social and Economic Policy at
Brandeis, was Secretary of Labor in the first Clinton Administration. This
article was adapted from a speech he gave at the University of
Massachusetts.

Join a discussion in the Digital Edition Forums.  Or send your letter to
the editor to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Nation Digital Edition http://www.thenation.com

Copyright (c) 1997, The Nation Company, L.P. All rights reserved.
Electronic redistribution for nonprofit purposes is permitted, provided
this notice is attached in its entirety. Unauthorized, for-profit
redistribution is prohibited. For further information regarding reprinting
and syndication, please call The Nation at (212) 242-8400, ext. 226 or send
e-mail to Max Block at [EMAIL PROTECTED]