There is a type of problem -- a "system" problem -- such as the
population explosion, natural resource depletion, and war, for
which there are no technical solutions.   There is also an
increasing recognition that this type of problem has no current
political solutions.

In short, we find ourselves confronted with two choices:

(1) We must find political means to abandon the competitive,
    consumptive social system.
        OR
(2) We will perish.

I outline one possible future scenario for humanity -- not the
ideal one, but what I believe is the most likely scenario. If
there is any hope at all, it is that people will come to
understand the key systems in their world and then find the
courage to make the hard decisions necessary for survival.

My latest essay looks at physical laws, energy, complexity,
evolutionary psychology, politics, etc., and should be ready
in a week or so.

It's going to be too long for mailing lists, so if you want a
copy and aren't already subscribed to my free email list, send
    subscribe brain food
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]