>  > There is overproduction and more workers than jobs.
> > If society cannot provide enough jobs,
> > (and I don't even go into the issues of individually
> > and socially satisfying jobs),
> >  the "work ethic"
>
>    Eva
>
> Greider's "One World, Ready or Not: The Manic Logic of Global
> Capitalism" has a great deal on this subject, and the dynamics
> that creates it. It's not just a simple case of greed.

I never ever have claimed greed as a cause for anything.
All of us - including the capitalist class - aspire to fill
the roles our environment put us into.
I agree with the rest. Cars are a good example,
as they are the ultimate wasteful product
both resourse and usefulness-wise.

Eva

> "The challenge of managing supply to match the market demand and
> to maintain profit levels is the heart of what preoccupies every
> business manager ...Revolutionary change has unhinged those basic
> ca culations.
>
> "The great virtue of capitalism ...is its ability to yield more from less... But this
> expanding potential to produce more goods also poses the enduring contradiction for
>capitalist enterprise: how to dispose of the surplus production...
>
> "When companies adopt the technologies that reduce costs and protect their market
>shares, the inescapable result is to enlarge productive capacity... Someone somewhere
>will have to eat the losses...
>
> "What if the expanding system is moving further and further out of balance as it
>grows? That is the global experience to date. Enormous supply surpluses are
>accumulating across nearly every major se
> tor of industry...
>
> "Unless the fundamentals of capitalist enterprise have somehow been repealed, the
>system cannot continue on its present trajectory...The world is on new ground. Nobody
>really knows the likely outcom
> ."
>
> These are just introductory remarks. In a section discussing surplus in autos, he
>states:
> "In 1995, the major American car company recalculated its supply-demand projections
>and it found ...a worldwide productive capacity that would exceed demand in 2000 by
>27 percent. .. The global over
> pacity in cars by 2000 would be equivalent to the entireredundant." !!!
>
> He actually has some suggestions in the last chapter or two of the book. I don't
>think I'm capable of discussing them. But I did want to point out how big the surplus
>problem apparently is, and how
> asteful it is.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]