Thomas Lunde wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
> The point is that competition gives an incentive to build better products
> >than the competitors.

> Thomas:
> One of
> the myth's of capitalism is stated by Chris above.  The implication is that
> there would be no or limited innovation without the goad of competition and
> there is truth in that statement.  However, what may be good in moderation
> may not be good in excess and I would opine that improvements are in the
> excessive stage,

What exists now with huge TNC dominance of global mkts isn't increasing
competition; it's decreasing it. Takeovers, mergers, secret price fixing, and
cases like sterile gentech seeds, are IMO classically monopolistic
(anti-competitive). The smaller, local/regional businesses usually can't compete
on price (quality/safety is not always easily judged by consumers), & if any
small guys do compete pretty well, the big guys try to buy them ASAP. I've seen
my mouthwash - Viadent(vegetable base) get bought by Colgate Palmolive. Next
thing they did was come out with a totally different product, same name but
called "better tasting formula". It was a totally different formula with no
'sanguinaria'(sp.?). They still sell the original one, much better IMO, but can
stop anytime they choose.

Competition is more players/products, not fewer. Myth is that increased
competition is destroying product quality. Globalisation & monopolisation look
like the culprits to me.

Steve
--

"To teach how to live without certainty, and yet without being
paralyzed by hesitation, is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy,