Bob McDaniel wrote:

> Eva Durant wrote:

> >> Books by Beniger (The Control Revolution) and Kelly (Out of Control)
> >> suggest, to me, the popularization of the ideas of cybernetics
> >> (communication and control). Absorption by the general populace of such
> >> ideas, reflected in current art (drugs and music (forms of control!)), may
> >> inspire the changes in consciousness that you seek.
[snip]

What is the big to-do about this Beninger book?  I had to
read it as a class assignment when it first came out, and,
for the last couple years, I've been using it as a pedastal
for a small wood sculpture.  I think I had trouble keeping
awake reading it. What on earth did I miss?

Now, on the other hand, there is Jacques Ellul (_The Techonlogical
Society_, _The Techonolgical System_, _The Technological Bluff_, etc.),
there's Arnold Gehlen's _Man in the Age of Technology_, Joseph
Weizenbaum's _Computer Power and Human Reason: From Judgment to
Calculation_, Ithiel de Sola Pool's _Technologies of
Freedom_, David Landes's _Revolution in Time_, Shoshanna Zuboff's
_In the Age of the Smart Machine_....

Did one of the masterworks of World Civilization go over my head
as my eyes scanned the "bar codes"?

\brad mccormick

--
   Mankind is not the master of all the stuff that exists, but
   Everyman (woman, child) is a judge of the world.

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(914)238-0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua, NY 10514-3403 USA
<!THINK [SGML]> Visit my website ==> http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/