Dear Elinor,

You wrote:

The emergent properties is interesting; they only arise in certain
situations, including the catalytic loop (closed network). Is that right?
I'll have
to go back and look at it again, but I see it as a development, a next step
forward.

Thomas:

To close to bed time, however I'll look up the reference but memory states
that their are three basic types of attractors,

1.  Point attractors, corresponding to systems reaching a stable
equilibrium.

2.  Periodic attractors, corresponding to periodic oscillations.

3.  Strange attractors, corresponding to chaotic systems

Page 132 and on Page 133-34

Chaotic behavior is deterministic and patterned, and strange attractors
allow us to transform the seemingly random data into distinct visible
shapes. (end of quote)

By being able to translate this data into a visual geometry, we can see that
any chaotic situation from free atoms to a waterfall or a political collapse
can be made visible through this geometry.  We can, through this visual
process, see that what appears beyond understanding is in fact in the
process of re-organization into new forms and new behaviors.  What helps us
is the understanding of change from "point attractors which often represent
a stable form, whether that is a house of a brick of gold, to periodic
attractors which seem to indicate some understanding of cycles to strange
attractors which give us some hope that when everything goes to hell, there
is a way to put humpty dumpty back together again.  I find that enormously
refreshing.

One of the things that I feel about 'systems theory' is that we haven't made
a seminal discovery that unifies the various ideas/disciplines such as
biology, chaos theory, fractals, feedback, etc..  We are still looking for
our Newton but perhaps the strange attractor which is bringing order out of
scientific chaos will soon be dense enough to call forth that unifying idea.

Though I would be hard pressed to explain it, it would seem to me that the
current resignation of Daniel Johnson created chaos and that Jean Charest is
identified as a 'strange attractor' to many people who feel he is the only
man who can challenge Lucien Bouchard.  (sorry for the Canadian politics)

However, the same thing seems to have happened recently in the US.  The
storm over Lewinsky seems to me to be a chaotic event (in that it may
destroy a stable situation) and I would identify the strange attractor as
Starr.

Interesting ideas to play with.

I have sent a message with a Family Basic Income Proposal File attached to
FutureWork, but it does not seem to have moved through the system.  Strange
things happen and often an idea creates a rallying point way beyond the
expectation of anyone or they don't but they provide the stimulus for people
to argue against, either way they can act like a strange attractor.  Like
you, I would like to get it straight in my head but I don't think it's
complete yet, it may take another 50 years to find the missing piece.

Respectfully

Thomas Lunde

I would like to be able to answer the question, "Where do you live? by
saying "Paradise".  I once was able to say I lived in "Hope" BC and it
always made me feel good to say, "I live in Hope", sort of a positive
affirmation.

  • Hope Thomas Lunde
    • Hope Stephen Straker