Ed,

You undoubtly saw the posting on Linda McQuaig's article re: the Tobin
tax if you missed it in The Toronto Star March 22. As I understand it,
the argument goes that "by scooping a tiny percentage of the enormous
sums traded daily on foreign exchanges, the Tobin tax could help reduce
the volatility in world currencies and collect billions of dollars for
good causes". Ontelevision and elsewhere on paper McQuaig is among those
who believe that the rapid exchange of money across currencies tends to
destabilize national currencies, making it hard for countries to conduct
international trade. This, it has been argued, is also one of the major
factors that contributedto the Asian money crisis.

Rose Dyson