Dear Futurework Subscribers,

        I am currently working on a project on human need fulfillment in
work and free time. It is ultimately geared to making normative statements
about how societies ought to be structured so as to allow for optimal need
satisfaction in work and free time.

        I'm searching for recent empirically based literature that
examines freedoms and constraints on fulfilling the need for
self-realization (or self-actualization) in waged work (and perhaps
unwaged domestic work), and the impact that these freedoms and constraints
have upon human well-being. By self-realization, I basically mean the
development of human capacities in the course of achieving life plans.

        Does anyone have any suggestions? If not, can you think of the
names and locations of people who might be able to suggest something?
There must be some sociologists/psychologist out there who might know of
work on this topic.

        More generally, any literature that looks at people who claim to
achieve self-realizaiton in their waged work, why the waged work is so
important to these people for their self-realization, and that looks at
what distinctive opportunities waged work may offer for self-realization,
would be of interest.

        Many thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Yours,

Robert L. Needham
Oxford University