another one from skeptics

Eva

>These observations are well born out in the following article about
>scientific heretics and particularly Thomas Gold, because he generated new
>data on the origins of oil and gas and geophysicists are not rejecting the
>conventional theory but Gold's data.  Gold is an astrophysicist with

>From the sci.chem FAQ:

The generally-accepted origin of crude oil is from plant life up to 3
billion years ago, but predominantly from 100 to 600 million years ago [1].
"Dead vegetarian dino dinner" is more correct than "dead dinos".
The molecular structure of the hydrocarbons and other compounds present
in fossil fuels can be linked to the leaf waxes and other plant molecules of
marine and terrestrial plants believed to exist during that era. There are
various biogenic marker chemicals such as isoprenoids from terpenes,
porphyrins and aromatics from natural pigments, pristane and phytane from
the hydrolysis of chlorophyll, and normal alkanes from waxes, whose size
and shape can not be explained by known geological processes [2]. The
presence of optical activity and the carbon isotopic ratios also indicate a
biological origin [3]. There is another hypothesis that suggests crude oil
is derived from methane from the earth's interior. The current main
proponent of this abiotic theory is Thomas Gold, however abiotic and
extraterrestrial origins for fossil fuels were also considered at the turn
of the century, and were discarded then. A large amount of additional
evidence for the biological origin of crude oil has accumulated, however
Professor Gold still actively promotes his theory worldwide, even though
it does not account for the location and composition of all crude oils.

If you want the bracketed references, look the FAQ up yourself :-). I only
got Part 6 via Deja News, and my ISP is having a go-slow at present.

Here's another hit from Deja News:

Re: Source of oil