From: "Ed Weick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Thomas Lunde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Destruction of Albania (Part I)
Date: Fri, May 14, 1999, 6:08 PM

Hi Thomas,

Nice to know you are alive.  I don't see how my comments are irrelevant today.  Ireland is part of Europe, and continues to be in a state of war or rebellion or whatever.  Russia is part of Europe, and is a powder keg when it comes to inter-ethnic relations.  When I was there four years ago, the Chechyn war got all the publicity, but there were others going on at the same time.  The Balkans are part of Europe, and you know what is going on there.

There are strong right-wing, meaning fascist movements in France and Germany.  Just because the latter has behaved like a model democracy for the past few decades does not mean that the old Prussian model of superiority couldn't emerge again.  German skinheads are causing all kinds of problems for non-German immigrants -- they can no longer go after the Jews because most of them have cleared out to Israel, but they are ever alert for new victims.

Europeans have been notorious for getting along when times are good, but let them turn bad and all of the old hatreds emerge.  Those hatreds are still there, latent for the moment, but by no means dead.

What got me about Reuss's comments was their sheer smugness.  The Swiss have been peaceful and stable for the past few centuries, but, as a safe haven for money, have gained from everybodies else's problems.  They've held themselves nuetral and have got very very rich by turning a blind eye to whether the wealth that poured in for safe keeping came from the mouths of Jews killed in the gas chambers or some other vile source.

Best regards,
Ed