This is from a colleague who worked for a number of years as a Management
Advisor at the UN.

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 11:19:42 -0230
From: Bob Olivero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Michael Gurstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cathedrals etc

Mike:

That was an interesting alignment you made with the internet/direct
democracy issue.

1.  Th. UN/Internet linkage is worth exploring as, of course,  it is
intended to reach out  a lot further than most other institutions and
has been hung up by the immutable barrier of its representatives being
primarily those of Nation States.  The NGO's are nibbling around the
edges of the issue but it seems that the "bazaar" babble is not well
served through that format.  Direct democracy through the internet may
NOT need electoral systems either, although the referenda approach may
well serve in the interim if it follows the Swiss model of routine and
regular (i.e. weekly)  wide-spread  voting and public comment on on
common issues.  It will, however, need a few of Plato's "philosopher
kings" at the centre.   Quis custodient ipsos custodient?  The "bazaar"
will need organization along the lines of geo-cities or a normal farmers
market.  Who will do this?  Yahoo?  "government"?  UN+ ?

2.  The issue of policy formulation being  somehow "owned" by the
political elite is a very real one.  It is, of course, a power issue and
aligned with secrecy etc to maintain bureaucratic and political elites.
The discord created by the "policy" vs "implementation" debate is great
and is exemplified at the Provincial level of Canadian government.
Local governments have tried to isolate "Political" policies from
"administration" and this has worked fairly well in city
manager/commissioner arrangements.  Policy formulation or even the
setting of the policy agenda will not easily be wrestled from the hands
of the power elites.  (Witness environment policy, NAFTA, globalization
etc etc)  A major factor here will be self-interest and "turf" as well
as broader "who get's what" and even corrupt practices of the "greater
thief".  As Bakunin observed "Property is theft!!"

3.  Age/generational issues and demographics are VERY IMPORTANT in this
situation and you are among the first to raise it publicly so far as I
know.  The Cathedral decision-making is on "send/transmit" and NOT
"listen/receive" and is designed this way.  Participatory actions such
as so called "budget consultations" traveling "parliamentary committees"
etc are mere window dressing that pay lip service to democracy.  And, as
you note, decisions have already been made in most case and, usually,
based upon  the "who get's what" school of democracy.  This is
aggravated by the values and ethics of the "boomers" or "me generation"
who have little or no interest in public service or the overall public
good and will be indifferent if the issue does not affect them
personally but who fight tooth and nail against any measures that will
infringe on their perks or threaten their positions.  (Note the way
cover-ups have become so prevalent in recent years (e.g Blood scandal,
Somalia, Mulrooney Letter etc)

4.On your last point on risks - I don't see the risks.   Accountability
will, in fact, be enhanced through transparency and free flows of
information.  For example, what if we had complete access to the federal
accounts and so called budget as to salaries, perks, expenses by
region/riding - type of product - foreign aid spending compared to
military purchase etc.  What if we could play "what if" with the data?
Well me son - we might have an informed electorate.

Bob Olivero

Fellow, Channing Chair in Public Policy
International Centre
Memorial University of Newfoundland
220 Prince Phillip Drive
St John's,  Newfoundland
CANADA  A1B 3X5

Tel:  (709) 737-4040  Fax  (709) 737-4330
E-Mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED] .ca