Eva Durant wrote:

> Are these kind of transitional demands?

They appear to me to be attempts to develop a more inclusive economic system. Some
activists might "demand" the implementation of their favourite schemes.

> Because they contain no solution to the
> problem of the basic capitalist mechanism
> of production

In a period of convulsive intragenerational sociotechnical change it seems
counter-productive to think in terms of _a_ solution. In a maelstrom one tries to
get a handle on the pattern of events, perceive the window of opportunity and go
with it. Then start looking for the next. A mind-set devoted to implementing a
final solution is ominously reminiscent of certain WW2 German policies.

This, of course, is not to deny the virtue of the "Grand Design" or utopia in
inspiring people and giving them hope. But just as in everyday life designs are in
constant flux , so it probably is so in the design of the economy. (I guess I've
inadvertently slipped into the "Holy Grail" syndrome!)

> - there will be not enough profits made
> based on this tax-scheme to make capitalist
> enterprises viable.

Which tax scheme? Only a few involve taxes, but when they do you're right to
consider the possibly deleterious impact on local (i.e. national) business - they
may threaten as usual to take their business elsewhere!

> So you just wait until they collapse,
> and then there will be no other alternatives but
> for the employees to take over ownership
> and management at last?
> Hear, hear...

That is probably basically it!  This may well be the ultimate irony of capitalism
since, as has been pointed out by others, it probably contains the seed of its own
demise or transformation. There may be a rough parallel here with the British
aristocracy: In 18th century France they had a revolution to overthrow the
aristocracy while in Britain over a couple of centuries it simply became irrelevant
or decorative.

--
http://publish.uwo.ca/~mcdaniel/