Thank you Thomas for thoughtfully restating some of the questions that I
have tried to ask during my three years on this list. Attention to the
quality and durability of human societies demands that jobs/work not be
bound by traditional economic definitions.

Steve

(excerpt)
Thomas Lunde:

 But - what if his perspective is the
correct assessment?  Then cheap energy and industrial growth become ills
equal to genocide or germ warfare.  What if the correct viewpoint is
sustainability rather than growth.  Then, we are following Hitler,
following
policies that will exterminate the human race, rather than just the
Jewish
race.

On FutureWork, our topic is work - which we, along with the rest of
society
assume is essential for survival.  But what if work is the path to no
survival?  Are we then not philosophers arguing over how many needles
can
fit on the head of a pin, without asking what the purpose of the
argument
is?  When we examine work, which surprisingly enough we do, in my
opinion,
in the most eclectic of fashions, all sorts of presuppositions, myths,
assumptions, verities, facts and truths come to light before our
collective
minds and various experiences and learnings.  The Internet gives the
tradional and eccentric, the conventional and the doomsayer a forum for
discussion.  Is this not futurework?  As each of us read - and agree or
not
with each posting, are we not retraining ourselves for some valuable but
yet
unseen futurework?  I believe we are.