----------
>From: "Ray E. Harrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Thomas Lunde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Digital Monoculture
>Date: Tue, Jul 6, 1999, 10:07 PM
>

> Hi Tom,
> Sitting here with a computer that more resembles a "Hot
> Rod" and that makes me very sorry not to have taken the
> auto mechanics course that my mother insisted upon and
> I resisted.   Sitting here with a machine that is not made
> by a big monopoly or with a decent warrenty.  A machine
> that the small businessman, who sold it to me at an inflated
> price and then went bankrupt, had promised service and
> quality for four years.  A machine that I must now spend
> time learning how to be an electrician, a mechanic and a
> programmer.   A machine that takes more time then I can
> spend working on it.

Thomas:

I do detect a note of frustration here and I can sympathize.  However, -
this is the same as a "but", I would offer another explanation to support
the monopoly theory I have been putting forth.  Large companies, having the
benefit of volume and profit in manufacturing, as well as profit from sales
often make it difficult for a small retailer to have enough margin to stay
in business.  I would venture that if the person who sold you the computer
could enter this conversation, his defence might be the same as mine.  The
large monopolies set the price so low for their product and give him such a
small mark-up that it becomes impossible for the small business to survive.
In other words, it is the large Company that has done you in.  Now, if you
had bought from Dell or Compact, there is no guareetee that you would be
better off.  I'm sure with a little inquiry, many posters could tell you the
horror stories of dealing with a name brand.

> I never worked on "hot rods" I bought new cheap cars so
> that I could spend time with my dates or traveling the country
> rather than sitting in the shop.

Thomas:

My answer has often been to buy used.  Not only do I not pay the big price
and all the profits, the equipment has probably been broken in, is working
fine and I usually get a pile of software thrown in.  My two cents - go look
for a used machine for a couple of hundred bucks or sometimes it just comes
as a gift.

Ray:

The question today is whether
> developing new art is more important than learning the inner
> workings of this mongrel.

Thomas:

In my opinion, developing art is more important.