---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 08:01:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Pazvakavambwa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: AFRO-NETS> The UNAIDS Report

The UNAIDS Report
---------------

Colleagues,

The UNAIDS Report is out. It is available on the UNAIDS web site in pdf
format for viewing or downloading:
http://www.unaids.org/
In my attempt to whet your appetite to the report, I have reproduced
the preface of the report from the Executive  Director of UNAIDS, Dr.
Peter Piot, verbatim.

------

Preface to The UNAIDS Report

by Peter Piot
Executive Director
Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS

We live at a turning point in human history. AIDS spotlights all that
is strong and weak in humanity: our vulnerability and fears, as well as
our strength and compassion, especially for those more vulnerable, less
able, or poorer than ourselves.

There is still no cure and no vaccine for AIDS. In 1998, 16 000
individuals were infected with HIV every day, and by year's end over 33
million people, a number that exceeds the entire population of Canada,
were living with HIV – although we estimate that nine-tenths of them
are unaware of their infection. Most people with HIV or AIDS have no
access to medication, even to relieve their pain and suffering. More
than 12 million adults and children have already lost their lives to
the disease.

These deaths will not be the last – there is worse to come. Every year
AIDS takes new directions: India and South Africa, both relatively
untouched only a few years ago, now have among the fastest-growing
epidemics in the world. New AIDS epidemics are emerging with
frightening speed in Eastern and Central Europe. And sub-Saharan Africa
remains the hardest-hit region in the world. Globally, young people –
those who must build the bridges, create national wealth and conduct
the research of the future – experience half of all new HIV infections.
In many parts of the world, AIDS is the single greatest threat to
economic, social and human development.

Even in countries where one adult in ten – or as many as one adult in
four – is infected, a conspiracy of shame and silence surrounds AIDS.
People who are known to have HIV often suffer rejection and
discrimination. This stigma makes the AIDS challenge special. By the
same token, people living with HIV have a special role to play in
helping society to acknowledge and tackle the epidemic.

In the face of these enormous and frightening challenges, the strength
to fight back comes from pooling our resources and working together.
Founded just three years ago, in 1996, UNAIDS is an innovative joint
programme that brings together the expertise and efforts of its seven
Cosponsors – UNICEF, UNDP, UNFPA, UNDCP, UNESCO, WHO, the World Bank.
Each of them has increased action against HIV/AIDS in its own sphere
and is actively contributing to the UNAIDS response.

The UNAIDS Secretariat and Cosponsors can point to an expanding roster
of advances based on partnership with one another and with governments
and civil society around the world. For the first time in this
epidemic, we can see progress on several fronts:

* In the developing world, strong prevention programmes are stabilizing
  HIV rates in Brazil and Senegal and have turned around major
  epidemics in Thailand and Uganda. Alongside these nationwide success
  stories, there are innumerable community-level successes on all
  continents.

* Political commitment has surged in several countries confronting
  major epidemics, from Brazil to South Africa, from India to Cambodia.
* New partnerships have been forged with mainstream youth
  organizations, religious groups, the corporate sector and global
  entertainment media.

* Pilot projects for preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV are
  starting up in eleven countries, following the demonstration that a
  short course of antiretroviral therapy can dramatically improve an
  HIV-infected woman's chances of having a healthy baby.

* The first HIV vaccine efficacy trial began in the USA, followed in
  March 1999 by the first such trial in a developing country, Thailand.

Every day, we must balance our fears about AIDS against the certain
knowledge that human action can make a difference. This report outlines
the challenges that all of us face, and illustrates the difference that
individuals and organizations can make by working together.

It is my privilege to share with you, in this report, highlights of
what our partnerships have achieved thus far.

--

Dr. Brian Pazvakavambwa
AFRO-NETS Co-Moderator

--
Send mail for the `AFRO-NETS' conference to `[EMAIL PROTECTED]'.
Mail administrative requests to `[EMAIL PROTECTED]'.