Dear Peter:

You have made many points, I hesitate to say good points because I disagree
with some of them.  Without going through all your comments, I would like to
keep this at a general brainstorming rather than a nitpicking exercise.

War exists.  For many reasons - all of them justifiable to someone at
sometime at someplace.  War in all it's manifestations is the negation of
the highest human ideals of family, community, safety, security and
humaness.  It destroys property, lives, environment, hope and sanity.  At
the end of the day, all wars end, so one might reasonably ask, if it is
going to end anyway, why not stop before it begins.

Reasons for war are many, but in most cases, there is oneindividual or
several holding some particular political power, or control of a resource,
or hereditary rights, who by using their position create the conditions by
which the rest of a citizenery are convinced - or forced into military
service and who do the actual fighting.

The obvious place of intervention is against the one or few.  Not against
the military and citizenery in massive armed conflict.  So what system,
organization, methodology can be imagined that would provide intervention
before we get to the state of armies and violence.  I have postulated a
"police force" which you seem to negate as having within it vices that are
as bad or evil as war.  I disagree.

For the sake of exploration, what other means than law and police might we
choose.  Perhaps the religions of the world should submit a panel that looks
at various countries and their leadership and brings the full weight of
spiritual morality against a leader who is creating the conditions of war -
but then what, if there is no force to enforce that validation.

Perhaps, a Universal Agency which has the rights to meet with and dialog
with any ruler and challenge their assumptions and bring into the light of
public scrutiny their pathologys or in some cases legitimate reasons and the
weight of public opinion can be brought to bear on their thoughts and plans.

Perhaps a singular law against violence similar to the one in the Ten
Commandments - Thou shalt not kill, should be used as justification for
abeyance or removal from office of any leader so accused and found guilty.

Perhaps, wars should be settled by champions, ie David and Goliath contests
or by teams as it appears the Mayans did.  Certainly more civilized than
modern war.

In the past many wars were caused by races, such as the Mongols or the Huns
or the Vikings, literally appearing from nowhere, determined to conquer.  Or
by religous crusades whether Christian or Muslim.  But now, we live in a
Global Village, short of an invasion from outer space, the communications of
the 20th Century eliminates those kinds of surprises.

Many wars were territorial, but all the territories of the world are now
filled, in fact even overpopulated by any reasonable standard.  Would the
world allow territorial expansionist wars - I think not.  Iran tried it, we
wouldn't let it, Serbia and Croatia tried it and we finally decreed that
genocide and ethnic cleansing for territorial expansion is no longer
acceptable.

Of course, the elimination of war would cause the greatest depression in
economic history - all those soldiers and military suppliers would have to
shed workers like crazy which would probably collapse our economic system.
But the irony of an economic system that can only exist by preparing for
war, fighting wars and recuperating from wars, from any objective viewpoint
has to indicate a mass psychological dysfunction.

Well, those are some of my thoughts

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde