Thomas:

I will be cruel.  Without experience there is not understanding.  Without
feeling there is no wisdom.  Western man objectivies everything and very
little touchs him.  People study religion, they do not practise religion.
People study anthropology, they do not sit in the woods and feel the world.
People argue about abstractions, they do not test their arguments in
reality.

To know about nudity, you have to take your clothes off.  To know about
hunger you have to experience not eating.  To know about spiritual
experience you have to have some.  To know about trade, you have to trade.
In the west, we do not trade, we buy and sell.  The difference is we
objectify every value into the mathematics of money.  The "trader" arguing
with the native over the value of a beaver pelt imposed objectivity on the
trade - discounting the experience of traveling through the woods, setting
traps, removing the life of an animal, scraping the skin, feeling the
texture and beauty of nature expressed in the fur.  Discounting the stories
of the beaver and their relationship with the native and the exchange of
learning that each had from the spirit of the other.

Trade is about the exchange of values.  Western man imposes values based not
on use or creation, but on potential profit.  The capitalist defines the
rules.  The question is, "why should we play their game?"  We play the game
because the capitalist holds something we might value or aspire to own and
he sets the terms of it's price.  In most cases, the capitalist did not make
the knive or the gun but was able to buy that labour and craftsmanship
because they held the power of food and shelter.  They did this through
political systems that have the ultimate power of physical force behind
them.

Capitalism, as we in West know it, did not develop among indigeous people
because the food supply was always free.  Any native could set a snare,
start a fire and harden a stick to make a spear, pick a berry or dig a root
or catch a fish.  Any native could sleep in a leanto, make a tent or brush
shelter, build an igloo, drink water from the lake or stream.  Yes, that
food or shelter may not have met the standards of comfort we expect today
but it allowed them that rarest of values - true freedom.  Therefore, trade
was about exchanges inherent in the object being traded - not objectified
into an arbritrary monetary number enforced by force.

As I watch Ray, twist and turn, trying to use references, scholarship and
comments on his experiences to try and penetrate the objectivity of the
Western mind, I feel his spirit contracting like a wild animal forced to
come to terms with a cage.  A the same time I sense the nobility of the
spirit that tries to communicate values, relationships, experiences and
histories that come from his experiences - from his families experiences,
from his tribes experiences, from his race's experiences.

We, temporarily, are the conquerers.  That does not invalidate other truths,
it just means that in the long wheel of history, at this moment our thought,
our rules, our perspective is dominate.  Like most conquerer's we have the
arrogance of rightness - after all, science, rationalism, logic, capitalism,
military prowess, legal traditions are the proof of our rightness - right?

What don't we have?  We don't have spirit - we study the cosmos, we don't
experience the cosmos.  We talk of freedom and rights - but we don't have
freedom and rights except in the narrowest of definitions.  You do not have
the right to take food from the Earth or to use a portion of the Earth for
shelter - except within the rules.  Our government makes decisions for us,
creates regulations that define our behavior, create mazes we must go
through to recieve benefits, be they education or welfare.  The native in
the Council could listen and speak and then decide for himself whether to
particpate.  We do not have a standard of honesty, of respect for the truth.
Our truth, is the truth of self service.  We conceal what embarrases us, we
distort what prevents our success - how many resumes do you think are
truthful?

I am going to close this posting with a Graffis posting that perfectly
expresses the values of the West, that exemplifies the distortions we have
created because we have moved out of balance with the Earth and because it
points so succinctly towards the seeds of our civilizations downfall.

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde

From: Mark Graffis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

New market for old farts ?? Free trade or protection?

Observer (London) Sunday July 25, 1999

Q: What causes as much air pollution as power station chimneys? A: Pig
farms

ROBIN MCKIE on how scientists have found nitrogen produced by manure on
animal farms is as damaging to trees as the smoke and steam from
industrial sites

They are as bad for the atmosphere as belching chimney stacks and
emissions from power stations. Scientists have discovered a startling new
source of air pollution: pig and chicken farms.

They have found that nitrogen emissions from units for intensively rearing
animals are killing woods and forests at the same rate as the effects of
industrial pollution. Plumes of nitrogen chemicals, mostly compounds of
ammonia, have been detected pouring into the air from animal farms,
stripping local coniferous forests of their pines and suffocating them.

The emissions - most of them from animal farms' growing piles of manure -
are causing serious damage to woodland in some areas. In Denmark and
Holland, where large pig and chicken farms are a major industry, precious
heathlands are being destroyed.

Scientists believe agricultural pollution is now as great a threat to air
quality as emissions from power plants and factories. 'Farmers have been
getting away with things that no factory owner would ever be allowed to,'
said Dr Phil Ineson, of the Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, in
Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria.

Ineson began his research in an attempt to study acid rain's impact on
soil.

'We took crateloads of soil samples to places suffering from different
sorts of environmental damage,' he said. 'We expected to find that acid
rain, created by sulphur pollution from factories and power plants, would
have the worst effect. In fact, nitrogen was the most damaging.'

About 80 per cent of the air we breathe is made up of nitrogen (oxygen
forms a large part of the remainder). In its atmospheric form nitrogen is
unreactive. However, there is a chemically active type of nitrogen used in
agriculture and industry and this version can cause ecological problems.

Excess amounts of nitrogen-containing fertilisers are washed off fields by
rain and pollute rivers, while cars and factories produce oxides of
nitrogen that can lead to the build up of harmful amounts of ozone in the
air.

'We knew industrial nitrogen could cause atmospheric pollution, but
thought nitrogen from farms was only a threat to water supplies,' said Dr
Ineson. 'However, when we followed up our soil research and looked at pig
and chicken farms, we got a real surprise.'

Ineson investigated one moderate-sized pig farm in Wensleydale, North
Yorkshire. 'It had a only few hundred animals, but produced a colossal
amount of manure. This stuff - apart from smelling horrible - was stacked
in mounds and generated plumes of ammonia.

'The heat of the animals' bodies, stacked close together, was sending up a
pillar of warm air and that was carrying the ammonia high into the air.'

At a nearby wood, downwind of the farm, leaves and branches were found
coated with ammonium sulphate. Conifers had been stripped of their pine
needles and were dying. 'The wood was in a bad way,' said Dr Ineson.

His team's work has been followed up by other researchers who have looked
at chicken farms and again found damaging nitrogen pollution nearby.

'If you have any sensitive woodland, or sites of biological importance,
you should not allow them to get downwind of a major pig or chicken farm,'
he said. 'On the other hand, farms with a few pigs or chickens wandering
around are not a threat.'

The research suggests farms might one day have to be forced to clean up
such pollution. Manure will have to be treated. 'Who pays the price for
cleaning things up is a different matter,' said Dr Ineson.

*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material
is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes. ***

Create a list for FRIENDS & FAMILY...
...and YOU can WIN $100 to Amazon.com.  For details, go to
http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html