Thomas:

Thanks for your detailed comments.  On one point we have agreement Douglas,
we have both got our dates set wrong on our computer.  I was puzzeled that
your message was at the bottom of my date ordered inbox - really,  Friday,
Feb 27, 1920 is further than I ever dared to err.

You wrote:

> I'm not sure "our system" was ever designed, I think it just grew.  Perhaps
> we could design a better system, but who is to do the designing?  We don't
> work well together, as Mr. Atlee has pointed out, so how can we succeed
> in designing a better system?

Thomas:

I'm sorry that you seem to have given up on the best idea I've seen.  The
"who" of course is problematic if you limit yourself to a one shot try.  I
would prefer a more plural form, say "whom" of many aspirants can produce
the "best" structure rather than system. (System: a complex whole; a set of
connected things or parts functioning together) (Structure: a set of
interconnecting parts of any complex thing; a framework.)

Try the formula "Structure determines the form of the processes" in which
structure is a defined state.  Hard to get a grip on but perhaps an example.
Representative Democracy is in my opinion a structure for political
goverance selection.  As a structure, it is predisposed to the concepts of
political parties and political parties exist like corporations over a long
period of time.  So you get a model of government in which those selected
are focused on the survival of their Party which is often at variance with
those who selected them - the governed.

You said:

> The same comment applies to "how good our process is".  It isn't.
> But what process have we for improving our process?  Not one that
> works, I suppose, or we'd notice the process improving.  Hands up how
> many people see things improving.

Thomas:

I view process as a direct result of structure - the formula - structure
determines the form of the process.  Therefore, to improve process, then you
make changes in structure.  If your structure is electing government through
the process of political party's and it is assessed by consensus that
politcal party's do not give good governance, then it seems to me that a
structure is needed that changes the process to something else.

Now, at one time, we had as a structure, heriditary monarchy.  Over time, it
became apparent that we got a lot of stupid monarch's who created a stupid
nobility which did really stupid things with the resources of a country.  So
we invented a new structure for the times - representative democracy.  Now,
the times have changed - we no longer live in a time constrained
agricultural society in which it often took days or weeks for information to
travel a few miles to one in which information is instantaneous.   We need a
new structure and from that will flow new processes which will produce
different results.

Now, this new structure can come on us willy nilly through historical
movements like globalization or can come to use through the design of
structures that allow a humane rather than capitalistic globalization in
which a structure is being created by those who influence or control the
market.

Now, I agree, that this does not solve the problem of the "who" or "whom",
but I think that they is we - yep, you and me and millions of others over
the next 10 years who are going to be creating all this noise on the
Internet - the new forum for change.  Out of that discontent and collage of
ideas will arise political leaders who can articulate the consensus of all
this discontent.  Much as the American and French Revolutions found leaders
to articulate the discontent within the monarchical societies.  Perhaps this
time we can do it without a war or a gullitine (sp).

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde
--