Dear Anne and Friends, all (I feel that the cc-s are worth-while in a
lets-net-the-solutions-spirit )

First of all, I apologise for my multitude of postings to this list - it
seems, by far, the most active of those I'm on, at present.

Secondly of all, your request for resources.

The one resource, upon a deal of reflection, that I'd whole-heartedly
recommend, to all community developers, is a book called 'The Bermondsey
Story' by Fenner Brockway (again, The Quaker Bookshop in London, UK has
copies £4.95 plus postage - and I'm not on any commission here !!! )

It tells the story of Alfred Salter and his wife Ada' s work in Bermondsey -
one of  London's poorest, poorest areas in the 1920's to early 50's.

They did (with their Independent Labour Party chums and their co-operative
chums) truely wonderful work there.

That work was the best, truely I think, the best, that *any-one* could have
done.

But.

Came the war (and I could, almost, believe that the war was started to kill
off their work) the project ended and Bermondsey was pushed back, yet again,
into last
place in the race.

So ? What's the big message ?

Well, I'm not sure.

Perhaps . . .

The task is eternal ( The Second Law of Thermodynamics and all that), but,
also,
perhaps, we have to, both:

     'Think globally and act locallly.'

And:

    'Think locally *and* act globally.'

In other words, as a step on, find the balance between local do-ing and
global do-ing ?

[Good-ly book, tho' ]

hugs

Oh, yes, and Dolores Hayden's 'Redesigning The American Dream' is, also, a
must-read.

More hugs