To: Friends of reason on several mail lists.

There must be magic in my writing, of which I am oblivious, that ties a knot
in some people's knickers.  In my 99-09-23 note, "Welcome to America," to Vald
as Anelauskas and friends on several mail lists, I wrote:

Since you are being well paid to paint the depressing picture of the U.S.,
perhaps you should balance the scales by doing some pro-bono research and
publication on that systemic defect which is common to every industrial
nation that fails to make an adequate investment in its developing human
assets.  Europe needs such research and publication more than the United
States does.  Without it, Europe will revert to the condition it enjoyed
between World War I and 1945.
<<

I should have completed the thought by adding:

"On the other hand, without such research, the United States will continue
for many more decades in the super-power condition it has enjoyed since 1945.
 If the U.S. establishment cannot be persuaded to correct the systemic defect
(the 5% of GNP deficit in purchasing power among parenting families) in the
U.S. economy by applying the same corrections adopted in 1946 by Japan under
Douglas MacArthur, by Germany under John J. McCloy, and by the smaller
European nations on their own initiative, those 1946 corrections will soon
cease to be effective anywhere and will be be lost to human memory.  To date,
Robert S. McNamara is the only member of the American establishment who has
admitted that he might have been mistaken.  A few more members need to be
persuaded that sustaining the status quo in America will ruin them also, soon
after it has ruined everyone else in the world."

I concluded that 99-09-23 note to Valdas Anelauskas as follows:

I have taken the liberty of adding your address to my copy list.
Let me know if you want to be removed.
<<

Subj:    Re: Two ways to lower your taxes and raise your income