Andrew Straw wrote:

> I must admit that I am often torn between supporting those who want freer
> trade and those who are interested in protecting workers in core countries
> like the US.
[snip]
> Make more people owners.  Active owners.  Both in core AND in peripheral
> countries.

Real democracy is peer participation in all the important areas of one's
life.  Representative democracy is an oxymoron, in which the only
democracy is the democracy of the representatives (like in Athens:
there women and slaves didn't count as part of the polis; here
"the people" don't count as part of the WTO: workers, students,
welfare recipients, housewives, just about everybody, except
persons "x" where "x" is a valid substitution instance in the
formula "CxO").

> Any other answers?  Concerns?

I heard a lovely report by one of the pharmaceutical company
"free marketeers" on NPR:

    http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/etc.html#fm

He very clearly explained what a "free" market is, in contrast
with the chaos of a "wild west" market!

Ah, the joys of centralized government planning (aka "free enterprise")!

\brad mccormick

--
   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[XML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/