Subj:   Two Articles of Economic Rights & Responsibilities
Date:   01/05/2000 10:25:39 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:   WesBurt
CC:    WesBurt
BCC:  deleted by WSB

Hi folks,

This four year old post below says just what is missing from the noosphere
which regulates the workforce and their dependents at 270 degrees on the
macro model Figure 6.  It seems an appropriate followup to my last three
posts which were not distributed by lists <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <basicinco
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, and <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
oo.ca>.

Kind regards to all,

Wesburt

Subj:    #181-0, Two Articles of Economic Rights & Responsibilities
Date:       96-02-16 21:04:45 EST
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Stuart B. Weeks
Dir. The Center for American Studies at Concord, Massachusetts.

Dear Mr. Weeks:

Here are two rarely acknowledged, and often
misrepresented, articles of economic rights and
responsibilities which have been handed down
to us by succeeding generations of patriarchs,
prophets, and poets.  These articles were ancient
when Moses broke the first two tables of the Law
and hid the second two tables in the Ark of the
Covenant to keep the Whole Law from becoming
the public property of the Israelites.  The first
article is a statement of the Economic Right of a
person or capital asset while in development, and
still dependent on external support.  The second is
a statement of the Economic Responsibility of a
person or capital asset while in production, and
capable of being independent of all external
support.  Together, the two articles are the moral
authority which enables and defines the optimum
financial structure of a community, a corporation,
or a commonwealth.  Where the people have
sufficient vision to teach and conform to the two
articles, the people prosper.  Where the two
articles are violated to a sufficient degree, the
wealthy, healthy, intelligent, and powerful part of
the population (the WHIPs) may still prosper for
a while, but the people slowly perish.

We are most familiar with a poetic version of
these two articles which Karl Marx borrowed from
Louis Blanc, who in turn, probably got the sense
of them from Thomas Paine's AGRARIAN
JUSTICE or THE RIGHT'S OF MAN, part II.  Marx
then presented them in the inverse order and out
of sequence with their consequent effects, when
he wrote in his 1875 CRITIQUE OF THE
GOTHA PROGRAM:

"After labor has become not only a means of life
but life's prime want; after the productive forces
have also increased with the all-round
development of the individual, and the springs of
cooperative wealth flow more abundantly -- only
then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be
crossed in its entirety and society inscribe on its
banners: "From each according to his ability, to
each according to his needs!""

In this sequence Marx, Lenin, Stalin, and their
successors gave the world a seventy-two year
experiment with communism which failed in the
USSR and is losing ground everywhere else.
Surely Marx, Lenin, Stalin, and their successors
did not intend the consequent results; that the
Soviet Union should fail, that the future as
visualized by 19th and 20th century intellectuals
should revert to a Democratic Capitalism in
which the human assets are as well capitalized
as the physical assets.

I am pleased to propose the two articles, which
express the economic keynote of an optimum
community, corporation, or commonwealth, in
the sequence in which they naturally occur in the
lifecycle of each individual reproducible
productive capital or human asset.  They are
numbered as they might have been listed among
the twelve Moral Commandments promulgated at Mt.
Sinai, of which we are taught only ten; or as they
might have been listed among the first twelve
"articles in addition to, and Amendment of the
Constitution of the United States of America,"
of which the States ratified only ten in 1789 to
constitute the American Bill of Rights.

Fortunately for us, the omission of these two
articles did not become critical in America until the
onset of industrialization in the 1890s.

#5, TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEED,
while in development and dependent on external
support.

Only when this article has been satisfied
throughout the development period of the capital
or human asset, will "the springs of
cooperative wealth flow more abundantly" when
the asset begins to produce, as every successful
businessman has learned the hard way.

#6, FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS ABILITY,
 while in production and independent of external
support.

This article prescribes, not an equalization of
condition at the margin of subsistence by taxation
of all income in excess of subsistence
exemptions, as some people claim, but a "Flat
Tax" (% of income) on all income "from whatever
source derived," as set forth in the 16th.
amendment to the Constitution of the United
States.   #6 also defines the structure of the real
property tax of local governments, as it operated
prior to the 1890s to provide education,
infrastructure, and justice, while the US was still
a  nation of property owning farmers and small
businessmen.  Today's total tax rates range from
23% in Turkey to 55% in Sweden, with the US,
Switzerland, and Japan clustered around the
Biblical tax rate of three tithes, or 30% of Gross
Domestic Product.

To the contrary, the late great USSR collected
92% of its public revenue from indirect taxes,
which increase the market price of subsistence,
and only 8% from taxes on personal incomes,
according to the taxpayer's ability to pay.  There
is no surer way to arrest the economic and moral
progress of a corporation or commonwealth than
to impair its reproductive process by raising the
price of necessities for those "parenting" families
and firms which are producing the productive
assets for the future.

Once again, Mr. Weeks, nothing I might say at this point
can more clearly convey the spirit with which I submit
these two articles of Economic Rights and
Responsibilities, which are indeed the keystone of an
economic philosophy, than the words of Rene
Descartes in his 1641 letter to The Faculty Of
Theology at Paris. He wrote, in part, concerning his
"Meditations DE Prima Philosophia:"

"It is different in philosophy, where it is believed that
there is nothing about which it is not possible to argue
on either side.  Thus few people engage in the search
for truth, and many, who wish to acquire a reputation
as clever thinkers, bend all their efforts to arrogant
opposition to the most obvious truths. ----- That is why,
Gentlemen, since my arguments belong to philosophy,
however strong they may be, I do not suppose that
they will have any effect unless you take them under
your protection."

 Like Descartes, I know my superiors when I meet them,
and I know that these ideas have no value until they
become public knowledge.  I wanted to submit these two
articles by today, in accord with your program schedule.
Please feel free to use this material in any way that will
contribute to the success of your program.  I will send you
an e-mail description of the visual aids to support the
technical presentation of the two articles, in a few days.

Best Regards,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS (00-01-05) Those visual aids, Figures 7, 8, and 9,
constitute a micro-model of society and are now
available at URLs:
<http://www.freespeech.org/darves/bert.html#fig7-9>
and <http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/
3142/IR/items/19990119WesBurtFig7-9B.gif>.