To: A few friends, a few lurking innocents, many devious defenders
of the status quo (DDotSQ), and assorted classic academics on
several mail lists.

Dear friends,

Please accept my sincere apologies for wasting your time, and for
putting your interest in my subject at risk, with my wholly unnecessary
response to the Australian DDotSQ.  He was only doing his job, and
all too well, but my job went begging while I foolishly responded to his
ad hominem attack.  An attack which was "distinct from any legitimate
sort of pertinent argument or refutation, and disallowed in debate,"
according to Aaron Agassi on list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Now, back to promoting the general welfare, which is the special
common denominator of several mail list owners who continue to
distribute my posts.

A previous post identified one of my favorite Christmas presents as
the term: "noosphere" by way of Teilhard DE Chardin, Robert
Theobald, and Paul Swann owner and moderator of list
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.  The term "noospheres" was not as
helpful as I had hoped.  It is a little flaky, and prone to be ridiculed
by rednecks and libertarians.  So I was doubly blessed to get, as a
New Year's present, a more down-to-earth term: "thinking envelope
of the Earth," also from Teilhard DE Chardin, but by way of Robert
Wright, and Billy Grassie owner and moderator of list
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> where my posts have been
proscribed since 98-12-02.

Author Robert Wright, a contributing editor at The New Republic,
Time magazine, and Slate, has posted his new book, NONZERO:
THE LOGIC OF HUMAN DESTINY, at URL
<http://www.nonzero.org/app1.htm>.  His theme is, that social
development follows a "nonzero" path, rather than a "zerosum" path,
and thereby assures a slow but ever upward trend for the complexity
and quality of human society.  This theme confirms again Spinoza's
1670 universal law of human nature: that people, when free to choose,
will choose the lessor of the evils and the greatest of the goods which
confront them, thereby slowly but continuously improving their general
welfare.  I don't remember what, if anything, DE Chardin said about
Spinoza, but it is certain that Robert Theobald and Robert Wilson
shared DE Chardin's vision of a "noosphere" or "thinking envelope of
the Earth," a network which guides or regulates the activities of all
actors, capital or human, in the society covered by the particular
"noosphere" or "thinking envelope of the Earth."

My own narrow experience of 75 years on this planet has provided
insight into only two such regulating mechanisms.

The first one is the hardwired time-error system for dispatching the
production of electric power on the international power grid which is
bounded on the West by Texas, on the North by Hudson's Bay, on
the East by Cape Cod, and on the South by Key west, FL.  On average,
about half of the connected capacity will be unemployed, but 90%, or
more, of connected capacity will be fully loaded when consumers
present their peak demand.  In real time, of course, demand is always
at the discretion of the consumers of electric power and the function of
the dispatching equipment is first to preserve the stability of the whole
system and then to preserve the energy balance between demand and
supply with a minimum fuel input to the power system at every level of
production.

Here is Adam Smith's "invisible hand" hard at work.  From an airliner at
30,000 feet, the power grid, containing both the regulating intelligence
and the product, is invisible.  The plants are only barely visible on a
clear day, and the consumers are spread over the earth like a coat of
paint. Here is a real "noosphere," indeed.

The second such regulating mechanism, of course, is the market price
mechanism of every free society.  This  "noosphere" is a soft network
of linkages between the actors, capital or human, in the society regulated
by the applicable "noosphere" or "thinking envelope of the Earth"  We
should think of this "noosphere" or "thinking envelope of the Earth" as
historically restricted in extent by local or national boundaries, but
presently overflowing those geographical restrictions as globalization
evolves under the influence of the Internet and other advanced methods
of communication and transportation.  This vision of a regulating
influence gives a more hopeful meaning to the term "world governance,"
as meaning self-regulation by Divine Law, by the Twelve Moral
Commandments, or by the Rule of Law.  This is a more acceptable
vision by far than the coercive meaning of World Government according
to the New World Order.

We should also think of this soft "noosphere" or "thinking envelope of
 the Earth" as a multitude of nested envelopes, with each envelope
defining the price of a particular commodity in dollars per unit of value,
just as the single hardwired "noosphere" above defines the price of one
particular commodity, electric power, in dollars per kWh.  Notice that
the direct cost of electric power at a particular plant is exactly determined
by test measurements of plant efficiency which are adjusted by fuel costs
and cooling water temperature.

To the contrary, the direct cost or earned income of a particular kind of
labor is determined in a more democratic manner based on the opinion
of all parties to the transaction.  Each member of the workforce has the
cost of supporting at least one dependent, him/herself, plus the cost of
support for any additional dependents he/she may be responsible for.
The cost of supporting him/herself is fixed, quite independent of how
much work the worker is doing.  Likewise, the cost of additional
dependents is also fixed, and quite independent of how much work the
worker is doing.

Now it seems to me that the standard practice of our most capital
intensive industry, electric power, the industry which defines the
lifestyle of industrial societies, provides a powerful argument in favor
of establishing a universal basic income, in four sections, for our
human assets.  The standard industry practice is to provide, from
corporate revenue, the debt service on the cost of acquiring each
plant in the first place, the expense of maintenance to keep each plant
in good working order, and the expense of the no-load losses of each
plant while each plant is unemployed but available for production when
required.  These three subsidies, from corporate funds to the plant,
suggest the first three sections of a four section universal basic income
for our human assets.

The guiding principle here is to remove all fixed costs from the data
used by the control system at the plant level, so that supply and demand
can be matched at every level of production with a minimum fuel input
o the whole system.  Corporations obey this principle because it is the
only way to make an automatic control system work reliably.
Governments, on the other hand, seem to think of society as a big bean
bag, without regulating principles, which can be punched up in any
desired shape by just passing a law.  Our present condition shows that
corporations treat their productive assets better than governments treat
their citizens.  If the power grid were operated under the same financial
rules our government imposes on its citizen, the US would have a third
world power system.

The same standard practice is also a technical requirement for the
efficient operation of the workforce.  A free market automatic operation
of the labor market price mechanism can properly regulate only about
70% of the total operation because the other 30% must be diverted to
cover the fixed or sunk costs which, by definition, cannot play any role
in achieving a "Pareto Optimum" dispatch of production from the
available suppliers.  In other words, over the lifecycle of any reproducible
productive asset, human or capital, three subsidies must be paid from
that part of corporate or public revenue (the gross margin) which is over
and above the direct manufacturing costs of production.  The first
subsidy is for the cost of development, which is a sunk cost by the
time the asset becomes productive.  The second is for the cost of
management or government, that is, the salaried workers as opposed
to direct labor.  The third subsidy is for the cost of maintenance and
no-load losses while the plant is available for production, but not in
production.  For human assets, of course, there is an additional fourth
cost for maintenance while in retirement, which presently gives this
writer the freedom to say what he thinks without regard to zerosum
employers or pecksniffian mail list moderators.

Given the propensity of wealthy, healthy, intelligent, and powerful folks
to "do whatever it takes" to survive and evolve to a better condition for
themselves, how can we explain why the United Kingdom has remained
locked in a public policy which generates 2-3 percent per year inflation
and 4-10% unemployment, ever since the advent of industrialization in
Adam Smith's day?  Even more perplexing, how can we explain why the
United States, after wining its War for Independence from England and
its Civil War to remain one nation, reverted to the same second-best
public policy after the advent of industrialization in the US in the late
1900s?

The inflationary trend of this second-best policy is illustrated by the
profiles of the price indexes for the two countries shown in their 1993
book, THE GREAT RECKONING, by authors James Dale Davidson
and Lord William Rees-Mogg.  The unemployment levels of this second-
best public policy, as two centuries of experience in the UK and one
century of experience in the US confirm, are moderated only while the
nations are at war.  Surely this is a sorry performance compared to the
stability and economic efficiency demonstrated by our corporations over
the last two centuries, and by Japan, Germany, and the smaller European
industrial nations during the three decades following World War II.

Even if John Maynard Keynes (1883-1946) was accurate in his
assertion "that not one person in a million can diagnose inflation," we
should today have about 300 such persons in the English speaking
countries: the UK, the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South
Africa.  Is it reasonable to conclude that these 300 people remain silent
because they are at the top of the heap and fear to disturb the status
quo by addressing the general welfare of their respective nations in
public?  I think not.  The silence must have a much more fundamental
cause.

Sally Lerner, owner of list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, has
written often of the obstacles to getting a public debate started in North
America on the need for a Basic Income, and has established list
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> to get that debate started.  In the
UK, Kevin Donnelly, spokesperson for the Christian Council for
Monetary Justice, recently invited my attention to a 1986 paper by
Sir John Wally KBE CB.  The paper entitled, PUBLIC SUPPORT
FOR FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN; A Study Of British Politics, traces
the question of subsidies for families from Prime Minister Pitt's critique
of the Spleenhamland System in 1795 down to today's "academic
pressure groups who had no interest in the principles of income taxation,
except to misrepresent its deductions for children as 'handouts' to the
better-off."

Clearly, there has not been a generation of English speaking people in
the last 200 years without one or more prominent persons speaking in
favor of support for parenting families.  But the public is numb on the
question.

It is as if there were a powerful religious taboo in effect, but never
articulated in the public debate, which proscribes all assistance to
parenting families until they are unemployed and sink into poverty
and dependence on public welfare.  Much of the teaching of the
Church of Rome has carried over, unmoderated, into the teaching
of the Protestant denominations and the principle of "Subsidarity" is
one such teaching which addresses the relationship between higher
and lower levels in social organizations. I only recently noticed the s
hift in emphasis over the sixty year interval between the following two
definitions of "Subsidarity."

Subsidiarity, 1931, as defined in the Papal encyclical
Quadragisemo Anno, forty years after RERUM NOVARUM, on the
condition of the working man:

"It is an injustice, a grave evil and a disturbance of right order for a
large and higher organization to arrogate to itself functions which
can be performed efficiently by smaller, lower bodies..."
<<

There is no question about the ability of most families to provide
adequate support and education for their children.  We all did it.
The proper question is: how did this practice affect the development
of Imperialism as J. A. Hobson described it in his 1902 book of that title?

Subsidarity, 1991, as defined in the Papal encyclical Centesimus Annus,
Page 94, one hundred years after RERUM NOVARUM, on the condition
of the working man:

"Here again the principle of subsidiarity must be respected: a community
of higher order should not interfere in the internal life of a community of
a lower order, depriving the latter of its function, but rather should
support
it in case of need and help to coordinate its activities with the activities
of
the rest of society, always with a view to the common good."
<<

Does this statement imply the Church's approval of a basic income for
every person over their whole lifecycle?  For children and students only
until they enter the workforce?  For retired people only, at the expense
of families with children?  The latter is all that the UK and the US have
in place, two centuries after Pitt, the younger, proposed children's
allowances as a practical alternative to the Speenhamland System.

Think about it, and then talk about it.  Its your future, not mine!

Kind regards,

Wesburt