Melanie Milanich wrote:

> Futher to Michael and Ed's posts relating to the growth of
> individualism in the western world (and doctor's obsessions with their
> personal portfolios), today's Toronto Star has an article "Free agency
> comes to the shop floor" quoting Roger Martin, dean of the Rotman School
> of Management at the University of Toronto, who expects the workplace to
> evolve into a world of free agents, with workers demanding their own
> work terms just like athletes.
> That, he says, is because the concept of loyalty to an employer is
> fading, while loyalty to one's own career is on the upswing.  In time,
> human resources policies where all employees get the same wages,
> benefits and vacations will disappear, Martin argues. Instead, workers
> will demand one-on-one contracts that recognise individual
> needs...customised spaces at home.
[snip]

This strikes me as a "mixed bag".  It could lead to "anything" from
the reduction of even the most highly skilled "professionals" to
work-at-home [distributed] sweat-shop *piece workers*, to the
end of the still universal barbaric social custom of renting
human minds and bodies (aka: "wage labor").

I think this is a good time to refer yet again to the Polish
sociologist, Jan Szczepanski's magisterial (and quite short!)
essay:

       Szczepanski, J. (1981). Individuality and society.
       Impact of science on society, 31(4) 461-466.

It's well worth the small effort of asking your friendly
reference librarian to get a copy.  And, if anyone has
access to a Kurzweiler machine (text digitizer), I'd be
glad to edit the raw text and post it for all to read.

"Yours in discourse..."

\brad mccormick

--
   Let your light so shine before men,
               that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[XML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/