Greetings,

I don't agree with:

 "In this instance, "Sustainability" means that
business and population growth could continue at no expense or
degradation to the environment..."

but they have recognized that there is a problem.

Steve

Oregon Will Issue Sustainability Order
by Michelle Cole

Noting Oregon's historic role in passing the USA's first bottle bill,
promoting land-use planning, and protecting its beaches, Governor John
Kitzhaber is preparing to take what may be the most dramatic step yet:
requiring state government to conduct business in an environmentally
sustainable manner.  In this instance, "Sustainability" means that
business and population growth could continue at no expense or
degradation to the environment, a circumstance unrealized anywhere in
the United States.

Details are sketchy on how state government would make that vision a
reality.  But Kitzhaber, now drafting an executive order for spring
release, revealed his plan recently at a Portland banquet hosted by
Sustainable Northwest, which promotes economic development and
resource conservation.  "The state directs investment for economic
development, sets the rules for where and how communities can grow,
and establishes the parameters for environmental management," he said.
"It also consumes reams of paper, builds offices, buys power, paves
roads, manages forests and rangeland.  "Does this all happen with the
overarching goal of fostering sustainable economic growth that is
respectful of both our environment and our communities? I cannot tell
you that it does.  But I should be able to."

"Sustainable" is a term used frequently by government officials,
environmentalists, and private industry to describe a world in which
natural resources are consumed sparingly and replenished within a
lifetime.  Paula Burgess, the governor's assistant for natural
resources, said she prefers to define sustainability as "meeting the
needs of the present without compromising the ability of future
generations to meet their own needs."  "The problem we have now is
that our collective actions are clearly leading to the decline of
natural systems," she said.  Data from the Oregon Department of
Environmental Quality indicates the amount of waste and pollution
generated between 1994 and 1997 mirrored the state's surging
population growth.  In the future, a "sustainable" Oregon would see
population grow but waste and pollution decline.

Kitzhaber's executive order will not have the power to change law.
But as the state's chief executive, the governor does have the power
to direct agency policies and priorities.  As a result of an executive
order on sustainability, Burgess said agencies might buy recycled,
nontoxic or biodegradable goods.  The state would also become a more
efficient consumer of energy, water and fuel.  And there's a
possibility the administration could ask the Legislature to make tax
and regulatory changes designed to encourage landowners and businesses
to live more sustainably, she said.

During an interview earlier, Kitzhaber said it may be appropriate for
state agencies to follow the Natural Step, a set of guidelines for
sustainability developed 11 years ago by a Swedish physician.  Natural
Step was brought to the United States by Paul Hawken, founder of the
garden products retailer Smith & Hawken, and has been adopted by
several Oregon companies, including Nike Inc. and the wood products
manufacturer, Collins Pine.

Sarah Severn, director of environmental action at Nike, describes
Natural Step as "a way of opening people's eyes to the physical limits
that exist in our world and then stimulating their imagination to
create products and services that are in line with that framework."
As a result of Natural Step and other sustainability initiatives, Nike
now blends 3 percent of organic cotton into its T-shirts.  Converting
even that small amount of organic cotton prevented tens of thousands
of pounds of agricultural chemicals from being released into the
environment in 1998, according to Nike.  "Ultimately our goal is to
have a percentage of organic cotton in all our cotton products,"
Severn said.

Collins Pine's plant in Klamath Falls adopted a zero-waste policy
after 600 employees received Natural Step training.  "Zero waste"
means the plant is committed to eliminating waste or putting it back
into use.  For Collins Pine, the strategy helped save $1 million the
first year, said Duke Castle, a member of the executive committee for
the Oregon Natural Step Network.

Sweden, Holland and other Northern European countries were the first
to incorporate sustainability into government and business practices.
In the past year, a handful of states -- Minnesota, Wisconsin,
Connecticut, Florida and North Carolina -- have begun to talk about
how they might adopt sustainable practices.  "If done right, Oregon
could be the first state to really weave together sustainability into
an effective, overall program that enhances the economy and
environment," said Bob Doppelt, director of the Center for Watershed
and Community Health at Portland State University."

                        ******

Minnesota Sustainable Communities Network (MnSCN) Newsletter
The MnSCN produces a newsletter that offers timely information to
assist its readership in promoting community practices that are
socially, environmentally, and economically sound.  The newsletter is
produced by the Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance which you
can subscribe to by e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- provide your name,
organizational affiliation, address, and phone number.  For more
information go to http://www.moea.state.mn.us