Peter Fitzgerald-Moore wrote:

> Roger Hill's brilliantly succinct history of attitudes to work excited
> my admiration. However, an admoniton contrary to what he presents as the
> Roman view is expressed in the verse:
> Sensim sed propere fluit, irremeabilis hora
> Consule ne perdas, absque labore diem.
> Since I learned this seventy years ago, I have forgotten the date and
> source.  Perhaps Hill or someone else on the list could provide these?
> (My rough translation is "Slowly but surely the irrevocable hours slip
> by; be sure you do not let a day pass without work.)
> Peter Fitzgerald-Moore

Ah, but what is *work*?

I would interpret it as properly naming only that
process which produces *works* (as in: Bach's works).

Or, as Nietzsche's Zarathustra said;

   What need have I for happiness?
   I have my work.

+\brad mccormick

--
   Let your light so shine before men,
               that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[XML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/