Date:    Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:22:49 -0500
From:    Frank Borgers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LABOR CENTER MASTER'S DEGREE PROGRAM

UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS LABOR CENTER MASTER'S DEGREE PROGRAM

(please respond to: Tom Juravich, Director - [EMAIL PROTECTED])

Over the past few years we have seen the emergence of a new and
invigorated labor movement.  Labor is back -- organizing, making
connections with communities, building coalitions, and fighting
for dignity and justice for American workers.  We've also seen a
growing interest in union democracy, membership participation,
and an openness to new ideas and new approaches.  With programs
such as Union Summer and the Organizing Institute, links are being
made to a whole new generation of union activists, organizers, and
leaders.  It is a truly exhilarating time to be part of the labor
movement.

The Labor Relations and Research Center at the University of
Massachusetts Amherst is the premier graduate program in the
country for those who want to work in the labor movement. Our
Master of Science degree is a multi-disciplinary program which
combines course work and an internship in a unique and exciting
graduate program.  Coursework toward the Master's Degree provides
not only the skills necessary to work in the labor movement -
expertise in organizing, collective bargaining, and union
leadership - but also an opportunity to examine the larger
theoretical and strategic issues confronting workers and their
unions in the new millennium.

A degree from the Labor Center guarantees a wide range of job
opportunities within the labor movement.  Our program provides
broad-based training in labor research, economics,  history,
organizing, collective bargaining, and the law, coupled with
elective courses on specific labor topics that equip our graduates
for a variety of positions in labor.  Our graduates have been in
high demand among unions and related organizations and over the
past five years our placement rate has been 100%.

Our diverse student body comes from a variety of undergraduate
programs in the social sciences and humanities.  They bring with
them different kinds and levels of experience, including campus
organizing, organizing against sweatshops, labor community work,
and direct work with the labor movement.

We hope that you will consider applying to our program.  For more
information about the program, please contact:

Tom Juravich, Director
Labor Center
125 Draper Hall
Box 32020