John, [Keith writes]

Might I suggest with great respect that many of the weaknesses of the 'Seven Point
Action Plan' could be overcome by a reading programme of world economic history.

     Keith, [Bill Ward writes] rather than
     sweepingly discounting everything you have
     written below [as you have done with
     John], I would simply like to say that in
     trying to discredit him, you might have
     been guilty of some generalizations,
     yourself.  I, personally, have never
     failed, to be guilty of such things.
     Nevertheless, I feel that I need to
     respond in order not to lose the thrust
     of some very good ideas which John is
     positing that might move us forward as
     a civilization from where we are today.

John offered:

>All (?) of the economic relationships that history has seen, up to now, seem to have
>been coercive - force-full - in nature.

Keith responded:

The parenthetical question mark is certainly needed because the rest of the statement
is plainly false -- in a seriously big way, too. There have been several large trading
networks that lasted for long periods without the
faintest coercion being involved. Let me mention just one of these: the Phoenician
trading system which connected most ports of the Mediterranean for almost three
millennia. They had no empire and no army and operated
from peaceful and totally defenceless  utonomous city-states such as Sidon and Tyre.

     The Phoenecians were primarily Lebanese
     and Palestinians so we are talking here
     of something much more like a cartel
     than what existed between Harapa and
     Mohenjedaro in the Indus Valley
     Civilization, the Tigres/Euphrates
     society and the Egyptian kingships
     in the period around 2500 BC.  While
     the latter trading [system] would be
     assumed to be based on mutual interest,
     where the system failed as an example
     was in the onerous burden the trade
     placed on the poor in each of these
     countries [the 'value added' piece
     that international economists refer
     to].  The trade was similar to that
     found today between the wealthy of
     different countries who are really
     marginalized away from the people
     of their own countries and are more
     like the weathy of other coutries.
     For example, the meetings of the
     Group of 77 nations was a meeting
     of those in the developing world
     who benefit individually from the
     actions of the WTO and IMF and are
     not likely to challenge the general
     thrust of those organizations, what
     we would call a scam game.

     This is akin [pardon the pun] of saying
     that the trade among European states in
     the 1700s and 1800s was another example
     of noncoercive exchange - however, the
     trade was carried out among nations who
     all had sovereigns who were relatives -
     another cartel. Without email, they had
     to make policy at weddings and funerals.

I hope you don't think I'm being patronising
[neither is the Miami population re the Elian
issue], John, but please read your history books before you come out with such grand
plans. Your ideas well-intentioned but many of them run counter to what has been tried
and
tested throughout history.

The truth of the matter is that when coercive empires and aggressive nation-states
have arisen in the past, then trade promptly declines and large segments of
populations suffer great poverty.

Best wishes,

Keith

Keith all of the best - but before closing, could I ask you to share just a wee bit of
evidence to support your last couple of paragraphs above.
---
Bill Ward
Research Director
Arthritis Research Institute of America
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account at
http://www.eudoramail.com