Arthur Cordell wrote:
> Now, now.  Swiss law was such that good people really couldn't help the
> refugees.  In fact Swiss law was aimed against granting asylum.

If that was true, then I wonder why...

> During World War II, Switzerland officially took in about 300,000 refugees
> but it turned away at least 20,000 others, most of them Jewish.

...as your forwarded NYT article says.  Indeed, on a per-capita basis,
Switzerland took in many more Jewish refugees than the USA (which
rejected them by the shipload) did, although the USA was in a much better
position (more food and space, and not stuck in between the Axis powers)
to take them in,  and although the Jewish community of Zurich _asked_ the
Swiss gov't to _reject_ Jewish refugees !!   (better give them only the
choice between Palestine and death, to achieve the zionist goals, you know..)

While most other European countries were busy denouncing their Jews or
even persecuting them and helping the occupiers to deport them to the
concentration camps, Switzerland not only gave a safe haven to its
residing Jews, but also took in several tens of thousands of foreign
Jews, despite extreme shortages of food and other basic necessities,
and although doing so was a provocation to the neighboring Axis powers.

But the "thanks" we get is petty libel about "anti-Semitism".
With so much ungratefulness, maybe at some point these injust
allegations might become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

> ''The refugee policy of our authorities contributed to the most atrocious of
> Nazi objectives -- the Holocaust,'' said a Swiss historian, Jean-Francois
> Bergier, who led the inquiry.

Bergier is a bad joke of a historian.  When Bergier was confronted with
two substantial lies found in the preliminary reports, he replied in an
interview that he can't say anything about this because he doesn't have
sufficient knowledge about these claims.  So much for the scientific quality
of this "leading historian"!  He doesn't even know the bases of his own
reports.  The facts don't matter for him anyway because his verdict was
made in advance.

Chris