Hi Everyone,

Wow. Health issues are critical, personal, criminal, but hopefully informative.

The June 21 Victoria Times Colonist featured a story on the diminishing smelt stocks that provide native harvesters with precious supplies of eulachon oil, known to be an excellent omega 3 source, as well as Vit. A & E.

This morning's CBC Radio One broadcast spoke of it as well, mentioning of special note that when native populations return to their traditional diets, so does their health.

Google eulachon oil, omega 3, and you'll get countless links praising it as a nutritional must-- I won't pick and choose.

I find it fascinating that almost without exception, when I bought Udo's Oil, late '90's to early '00's, it tasted fishy. This having been bought from a refrigerated supply in Ontario. We would always transport cold produce home in a cooler with ice packs and store the produce in the fridge. I would return it to the vendor, and try again on the next shipment because Udo's won an award for quality. Transportation, I'm sure, was the big problem, whereby so much is ruined when truck coolers are turned off or loading takes place in the sun. Drivers need to be educated in the food preservation of all types of food. Few people understand that oils, especially cold pressed/organic must be refrigerated at all times.

Now I'm wondering if this fishy taste is inherent to Omega 3, after all, and I failed to appreciate it. Natural source Vit. E certainly smells disgusting. Also, I'm wondering if the eulachon oil, which is used as a preservative, might be less offensive, knowing it actually is a fish source, and may possibly be better utilized within our systems for the purpose of restoring health to fatty tissue.

Natalia