From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Ed Weick
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 9:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Futurework] Your gloom for today

Of all of the many things that happened in the rich world
during the 20th Century, a couple stand out. One is the
shift away from a goods producing economy and toward a
services producing economy. The other is the development of
technology permitting instantaneous communication and
shipment of services from one part of the globe to another.
Given the connective technology, it really doesn't matter
where services are produced. They can be produced anywhere
and instantly delivered to another part of the world. But
what is needed to produce them is an appropriately educated
and motivated labour force. As another major 20th Century
trend, such a labour force has come into being.
Approximately 1.5 billion technically and service
orientated workers are now available in China, India and
other parts of the developing world. And these workers are
willing to provide their services and skills at a much
lower wage than workers in the rich world.

It is not only services that have become internationalized.
Goods production can take place anywhere that has an
appropriately skilled and organized labour force. In the
case of a large variety of cheap consumers goods, the
developing world now produces and the rich world buys. But
it is not only cheap consumers goods that are at issue. As
the developing world becomes more skilled and educated, it
will produce many of the more specialized and sophisticated
products used by the rich world. Exports listed for China
include machinery and equipment, plastics, optical and
medical equipment. China is moving up rapidly in automobile
and electronic goods production.

What might this mean for workers in Canada and the US? In
Canada, it would seem to mean a gradual shift out of many
lines of manufacturing and services and a greater
dependence on the more traditional resource sectors,
especially oil and natural gas. This possibility is not as
open to the US, and what may happen there is the kind of
continuing industrial disintegration typified by the rust
belt of the Midwest and the eastern seaboard. Plants
producing goods that can be made more cheaply abroad and
offices providing communications based services will close
and workers will be laid off, losing not only their wages
but in many cases also their access to health care and
pensions.

I could go on and move the prognostication into the longer
term when underemployed, debt-ridden America is no longer
able to buy from China and India and when Canada begins to
find its natural resources less abundant, but I won't do
that. I've spread enough gloom for today.

Ed