-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ed Weick
Sent: Friday, July 6, 2007 11:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Christoph Reuss
Subject: Re: [Futurework] More gloooooooom

Hi Chris,

I'm not really sure that free trade plays much of a role in this.
Chrysler,
now uncoupled from Daimler, has not had a happy history recently. Last
year
it lost nearly $700 billion dollars and its sales and market share have
been
declining. It has to do something, and selling the ultra-inexpensive
Chinese
made Chery to, initially, Latin America and Eastern Europe, then to
Western
Europe and North America, seems like a logical way to go. But doing that

could have a huge potential impact on production and jobs in the US and
Canada. Something I read said that Chrysler is already planning to cut
13,000 jobs and close a plant in Delaware. And if Chrysler is moving
production to China, it is entirely possible that General Motors and
Ford
are also thinking about it.

Ed