Charles was saying we should focus on an alternative to our currency value systems. My point to the original email on Framing Resources was the fact that we are using up Earth's resources at a suicidal rate, and the result is a system of wealth that cannot possibly last because, obviously, we'll run out of resources. I stressed that arriving at truth with respect to an urgent and critical time for humanity and the life which surrounds it wholly depends on our ability to acknowledge the need for sustainable processing of resources. But that topic became focused on money. Fine, whatever. But I was just thinking, even though Charles is intent on arriving at an alternative exchange, would anyone care to bring the topic back to resources, since resources are the life blood of our existence, and try focusing on establishing realistic, intrinsic value as the basis for exchange. Obviously, it doesn't immediately make clear how to reconcile the various markets. But neither, for that matter, does the current system reconcile with illegal markets, nor false values of currency or the banker's dollar being able to accord up to 95 times more than its face value for lending or investment power.

But what I'm suggesting is that to have a sustainable future, false value cannot continue to dominate energy transfers. In fifty years time, basics such as clean water and good farm land will be at more than a premium -- but rather than preserving it now, our current approach is to price it out of the hands of the masses, and exploit what we can, whether or not it is wise to do so. So, one can redefine our currency system to more appropriately reflect labour or input energy transfers, but when the system's values are falsely based, I can't see that it would much change the first concern -- that being the need for a sustainable future -- such as clean water, land for habitation, land for food, land for leisure.

Perhaps one of the biggest problems is giving such resources a value at all. Rather, they should be more properly restored as necessities of life. That would put a damper on ever increasing trends to tax and charge for that to which we are inherently entitled to have and enjoy as beings on this planet. We all know that breathable air is next on the list to tax.

If these basic necessities are removed from the system of monetary value, that leaves us with everything else above the table, and all that which is not: the rest that disappears into the back rooms of government, organized crime, military and close community exchanges.

It is the latter which must be addressed to arrive at alternative improved exchange systems. Most money, as I said earlier, is made on the currency exchange markets. More in one day than the GDP of the US annual. On this fact alone, how do we apportion value to trillions made gambling on different nations' currencies?. Most other money is made by having fair quantities to first invest by, then by reaping the benefits of interests and inflated stock values. Banks make it on interest and investments, and loan out up to 95 times actual money that they have, depending on what scale you look at. So, the greatest wealth is in the hands of those who have earned their falsely valued money through falsely valued backing. I'm saying that most money isn't real.

How do you improve something that isn't real? Improvement is only possible when you have something tangible to work with.

Then, we have the untaxed and illegal markets. Another 30% of wealth, possibly? And finally we have the working classes, who wish to believe in the value of their hard earned wages or salaries, yet somehow only account for about 10% of the wealth of the globe, while providing almost every speck of real labour.

Now, here's another item for consideration. When huge corporations scam, and insurance companies cannot possibly replace individual losses, how do we account for loss of moneys which aren't really lost, they are simply in the hands of other parties, and then recirculated or used to build more false money?

When the Pentagon announced a missing 3.3 trillion, ( First, one trillion, shortly after Dov Zakheim took over finances for the Pentagon budget in March, 2001, then another 2 trillion announced missing by Rumsfeld Sept. 10, 01, as I read today), and, as we all know, the tax payers will never be compensated for this loss of their tax dollars, real or invested, and the money goes underground -- not towards above board traceable taxable pursuits, how do we reconcile its loss and subsequent redistribution? 3.3 trillion, in a monetary system, puts a huge dent into the U.S. pot. Yet the U.S. government has not bothered to investigate such a scandalous loss which should really upset the apple cart, as if there was little actual value going for it in the first place. Enron evil do-ers had to be stopped, but the biggest scam ever, within an arm of the government itself, meant nothing. Please note that I am speaking only in terms of value, not even accountability nor trust issues intrinsic to monetary systems.

There are already distinctly different ways of acquiring/valuing money. The first is the original -- energy transfers related to labour, goods and resources. The other is fantasy, for the most part, and should not be allowed to dominate the original, but does. It is the latter which is the bulk of what supposedly exists. But changing the system of something that depends on the energies provided by working people within the original system will affect the fantasy system, eventually.

Change won't be simply legislated. It will be accomplished by a shift in resources and/or labour availability, a revolution or coupe, or by a powerful peaceful global organization. We may not depend on any but vanishing resources, I think, to force that necessary shift soon enough to avert global bankruptcy, though I look forward to surprises.

Natalia Kuzmyn

>From Sam Smith, Progressive Review,

POCKET PARADIGMS

Global dumbing involves the virtually imperceptible but steady deterioration of the aggregate human mind -- as well as of its institutions -- much as the temperature of the earth is apparently rising at a rate so minuscule that scientists will be still be debating its escalation even as the waters of the Atlantic Ocean lap at the potted plants in the lobby of the Trump Plaza. In fact, global warming and global dumbing are intimately connected. Without the latter, something actually might be done before that portion of Washington below the fall line of the Potomac is totally submerged. And like global warming, global dumbing concerns itself with losses incurred by energy transfers and nature's ceaseless quest for the random equilibrium of chaos. It is, in short, the entropy of the human spirit and of the systems it has created.

In earlier times, it was possible to avoid cultural entropy by stealing energy from somewhere else. This, of course, was the foundation of slave trade, the British Empire and various new world orders of the first half of 20th century. While it still goes on, energy theft has become more difficult as the world has steadily lost its cultural, political, environmental and economic differentiation.

A cursory examination of American business suggests that its major product is wasted energy. Compute all the energy loss created by corporate lawyers, Washington lobbyists, marketing consultants, CEO benefits, advertising agencies, leadership seminars, human resource supervisors, strategic planners and industry conventions and it is amazing that this country has any manufacturing base at all. We have created an economy based not on actually doing anything, but on facilitating, supervising, planning, managing, analyzing, tax advising, marketing, consulting or defending in court what might be done if we had time to do it. The few remaining truly productive companies become immediate targets for another entropic activity, the leveraged buyout.

If global dumbing is not halted, we may wake up one morning and find that no one in this country knows how to make anything anymore. We may discover our dearest friends and relatives in a catatonic state before the TV and the device won't even be on. When we call for help we may find that 911 has become an endless loop voice mail system from which one can never disconnect. We may even, some day, elect a hologram as president -- and be too dumb to realize it. - Sam Smith