A while back I posted a reference to Freeman Dyson's article on "our Biotech
Future".

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/20370

I think there was only one response about Freeman's madness and the inevitable
disaster such an approache would have. Here are two articles not at all related
to our biotech future, but to the potential of crowdsourcing for finding
solutions to tough problems.

For even the toughest of R&D problems, there are often people out there with
innovative solutions already on their shelves or in their back pockets. The
trick for corporate executives is finding and gaining access to those
individuals. Our research with a company that broadcasts technological problems
into the ether-and gets back solid results-has given us a profile of the kind
of people most likely to solve R&D puzzles. We wonder whether firms might be
able to emulate this method to draw new insights from the talents and expertise
of their own employees.
http://harvardbusinessonline.hbsp.harvard.edu/hbsp/hbr/articles/article.jsp?ml_action=get-article&articleID=F0705H&ml_page=1&ml_subscriber=true

The other interesting article focused primarily on crowdsourcing is an
interview by Randy Burge of Alpheus Bingham co-founder of Innocentive.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2007/07/crowdsourcing_diversity?currentPage=all

Here is a quote from the article that is relevant to Freeman Dyson's vision:

Q: Right. The chances of being the solver to solve a challenge are remote. The
risk compared to the time spent is very high, I think.
A: You are right. That was one of the things that we didn't know whether anyone
would do in the beginning. Why would anybody assume the risk?
We were thinking about this from the perspective of the pharma industry. This
sector is heavily burdened, so as to be crumbling under its risk profile. The
industry failure rates combined with the amount of the investment that
companies have to make before they know whether they have a success are huge
challenges. (emphasis mine).
In a way, industry wanted to distribute that risk to the marketplace. Well, the
marketplace should be efficient and should say no. But, what we discovered was
that the risk the contributors take on is not equal to the risk that is
offloaded. The industry risk that is offloaded is informed only by the
probabilities of success and the costs and the investment structure -
front-loaded and back-loaded, those kinds of things.
Inside an R&D operation in a company, I have to take a chance on a research
project and give it to a scientist who has the time available and hope for the
best, with all my bets placed on the output of that one person or team. The
solvers, by self-selecting, have already managed away a big part of their
risks. With the solvers, you may get 10,000 solvers to look at it, and say,
"Nah, nothing happens to me, I am moving on to the next challenge." Then one
solver looks at the challenge and has an Archimedes moment. Maybe the challenge
reminds them of something, or touches an area where the solver is curious about
anyway.
Finally, solvers will tackle challenges because of the reasons behind the
research. To fight Lou Gehrig's disease, or whatever, the solver may say, "I
have a PhD in biochemistry and I am going to look into that challenge," or it
might be, "My brother has Lou Gehrig's disease so I want to do anything I can
to further the research on it."

The idea of risk, risk of doing and perhaps in some instances the risk of not
doing. Both have to be assessed and managed. Freeman does acknowledge the
dangers of the approach he speaks of. Danger which may be largely mitigated
with safety parameters built into the technology. Tools given to the masses
have always been perceived as a folly and an ultimate danger. But only by
distributing them can the greatest dangers be avoided. A million eyes to find
problems, find solutions, to watch.

For anyone who has not read David Brin's "Transparent Society" and/or Bruce
Sterling's "Shaping Things" these ideas can generally only be understood with a
risk management framework based on the industrial hierarchical and perhaps
elitist perspective. However, these risk are much less when one conceives of
the future context with the tools being developed now.

When one had to orchestrate huge military endeavours, secrecy was essential.
When one has to achieve agility and rapid response to unforeseeable events -
secrecy becomes a liability. I believe we are moving to a socio-techno
civilization where we must manage 'one world', and for that - transperency,
agility and self-organization are key.

In short the world of work will increasingly have to become more networked and
self-organized, with tools and transparency for everyone.

The above ideas are also inextricable from the (perhaps half-baked) ideas on
money that have have been proposing.

john

John Verdon
Sr. Strategic HR Analyst
Directorate Military Personnel Force Development
Department of National Defence
Major-General George R. Pearkes Building
101 Colonel By Drive.
Ottawa Ontario
K1A 0K2
voice:  992-6246
FAX:    995-5785
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Searching for the pattern which connects.... and to know the difference that
makes a difference"
Sapare Aude