THE INDIAN PERSPECTIVE ON THE OFFSHORE OUTSOURCING SCENE:
THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
by K.V.K.K. Prasad

For a developing country like India, the IT industry has done wonders at
least for a small
percentage of the population. The outsourcing of IT services from
developed countries,
particularly the US, is making a tremendous impact on the economic,
social and
psychological aspects of a young generation of boys and girls. And, this
is the best of
times and also the worst of times......

Almost 25 years ago, when the IT 'revolution' was yet to start in India,
the fresh graduates
had very few job options--only in government organizations and public
sector
organizations. Thanks to the IT outsourcing industry, today's
opportunities for the fresh
engineers are extraordinary. And, every graduate, irrespective of
his/her major, is opting
for a career in IT. That is no surprise, when an engineer with 2 years
experience gets
more salary than the Professors who taught him.

In many other countries while the reasons for lesser enrolment of girls
in computer
science are being probed, in India that is THE field of choice for
majority of the girls. A
visit to any computer science classroom shows that almost 50% of the
students are girls.
It is a welcome trend; the parents of girls are encouraging their
daughters to take up
computer science stream as the jobs are 'soft'.

I dislike it when my wife compares me with my neighbors, but then such
comparisons are
inevitable in life. When I got married, my wife joined me in a small
rented house with no
amenities. With my meager salary what all I could buy was a portable
black and white
TV to watch programs broadcast by an agency under government control. It
is amazing
for my wife when my neighbor, the young IT boy gets married and his wife
walks into a
spacious own house equipped with a home theatre, refrigerator, microwave
oven, airconditioned
bedrooms; and a big car.

Branded shirts, branded shoes, dinners at Pizza huts and McDonalds, a
new car every 2/3
years--life cannot be better. And, it is as if the whole economic growth
is by them and for
them. When insurance agencies and banks announce new financial plans
exclusively
targeting the IT professionals, when parents want that their daughter is
married only to an
IT professional, when the real estate developers build homes exclusively
for IT
professionals--you certainly feel that the Indian IT professional has
made the greatest
impact on everything and everybody. It is as though all other industries
are ancillary to
this industry.

The accelerated economic and professional growth certainly will have its
implications.
Sedentary and stressful life style of these professionals is now leading
to major health
problems--hypertension, heart ailments, gastroenterology problems for
people in their
late 20's and early 30's even. But then every problem is a business
opportunity. Now
emerged a new industry for keeping IT professionals fit through gyms,
yoga, crash
courses on art of living and art of managing stress. Cyber-yoga is yoga
designed
specifically for IT professionals of this cyberspace; desktop yoga deals
with yogic
exercises that can be done while sitting in front of your desktop.

As more and more reports pour in (for example, "Globalization and Off
shoring of
Software" of the ACM Job Migration Task Force), the software industry
associations
give projections for the next few years on the demand for IT
professionals and also ring
alarm bells on how much shortage is there for manpower. Then, the
governments
sanction engineering colleges. If nearly 1 million students are educated
on IT related
fields every year how do you ensure quality? If the HR managers of the
IT industry
complain that the hit percentage is just 5 (if 100 persons are
interviewed, only 5 are
selected), then suddenly you realize that focus is not the quantity, not
quality. When the
teaching community continues to get those small pay packets, every
university/college is
short of quality teachers, and hence their output, is also short of
quality. As a result, for
every IT professional that is having a great time and a lucrative job,
there are 20 others
who are either unemployed or underemployed (if degree is the only
yardstick). That has
given a chance for another industry--training industry. Training of
fresh engineering
graduates in latest tools and techniques and certification examinations
is a real money
spinner. The offers are attractive too, "if you pay for training in
Unix, training in C is
free".

But then, this additional training does not get a job for everyone.
Those who are still left
out produce false experience certificates and try to get into the jobs.
Yeh, there is a
business opportunity here too--some business houses give a false
certificate, generate
false pay bills and even answer the verification queries of the
prospective employers--all
at a price.

Unfortunately, even with false claims of experience, some candidates are
still on the
streets. They now have the next option--get into a US university for
higher studies. There
is yet another business opportunity here: TOEFL/GRE/GMAT training; then
visa
counseling. And then, it seems they need to show lot of bank balance to
get a visa (right
or wrong, I don't know--but that is the general notion prevailing). So,
at a price, some
business houses temporarily transfer funds into the bank account of the
candidate when
the candidate goes to the US consulate for visa interview.

And, a small percentage of candidates are still left out (fortunately,
there are a few who
consider it unethical to claim false experience). These left outs are
the inputs to small and
medium enterprises who address the domestic IT market and also
surprisingly carry out a
good amount of research and development. Every country needs some
in-house R & D;
and surprisingly very few big IT companies invest in R & D in
technology. They spend
money on upgrading the skills of their employees and they call it R & D.
The big
companies focus is so much on the service industry--after all there is
no risk in providing
services and there is risk in R & D. Hats off to their entrepreneurship
and business
acumen. The service industry is also obsessed with doing outsourcing
projects for foreign
clients. You can call up a domestic call center and find out how
courteous they are--after
all the callers to the domestic call centers are not foreigners.

If the outsourcing has its impact for good and for bad on the
individuals, it also has an
interesting impact on the social aspects too. With IT enabled services,
call centers and
BPOs, boys and girls, in their late teens and early twenties, become
financially
independent and have a good purchasing power. Mahatma Gandhi once said
"the day a
woman can walk freely on the roads, that day we can say that India
achieved
independence". If you go to the major cities in India, you will find
girls moving freely at
midnight. It has gone further. In a country where talking (let alone
doing) pre-marital sex
is a sin, if the managements of call centers educate the employees on
AIDS/HIV and safe
sex; contemplate keeping condom machines in the office premises; and if
the office airconditioners
and toilets choke with used condoms--that is a small price to pay for
boosting the economy of a developing country.

The percentage of arranged marriages (wherein the parents search for the
bridegroom) is
going down and the percentage of love marriages is going up--perhaps a
welcome trend.
Even in arranged marriages, preference is always for IT professionals,
other professions,
only as a last resort! The marriage age is no longer early 20's, it is
early 30's. And, when a
busy rich boy and a busy rich girl get married; they have two
bedrooms--the boy and the
girl need to attend to 'conference calls' from the US client. And, they
are so busy--
meeting deadlines and traveling, they have no time for children; or for
their old parents.
Hm, another business opportunity--there is a tremendous growth of old
age homes in
India.

When I narrated all this to an American, he asked me "What is the
conclusion?" I replied:
"I don't want to conclude anything; I am just an observer, giving a
running commentary".
But then, what is the underlying current that makes all these things
happen? It is the
money. But then, yes, money is the metric. In India..In
America...throughout the world.
It's time we rethink about money.. Is money the only metric for
measuring development--
development of individual, development of a business house, development
of a country
and development of society?

About the author:
Dr. K.V.K.K. Prasad is a Ph.D. from Indian Institute of Technology,
Kharagpur. He has
been with the IT industry for the last 20 years and worked on many
international projects
for clients in the US, Europe and South Asia. He is the author of books
on embedded
systems, computer networks and software testing. He is a Senior Member
of ACM. He
can be contacted at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ubiquity Volume 8, Issue 30 (July 31, 2007 - August 6, 2007)
<http://www.acm.org/ubiquity>