________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ed Weick
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: futurework
Subject: Re: [Ottawadissenters] Money as Debt

The following are my comments on Paul Grignon's Money as Debt,
http://tinyurl.com/2uoexg <http://tinyurl.com/2uoexg>  .  You might want
to view the video before reading the comments.  But be warned, it takes
about 45 minutes.

What I felt about the video is that it oversimplifies.  As well as being
debt when issued to a borrower by a bank, it is a medium of exchange.  I
bought an ice-cream cone the other day.  It was a very simple
transaction, but it would have been immensely complicated if I had no
money with me and had to find something tangible to give the vendor.
Better to go to my wallet, pull out a little fiat money, receive both
the cone and a little certificate that says I'm now the cone's owner,
and walk away and enjoy the ice-cream.

A point that the video does not make, but should, is that there are good
banking systems and bad (or not so good) banking systems, and there are
governments that are able of enforce sound banking and governments that
either cannot or may not want to.  While nothing is ever perfect, I'm
glad that I can access the Canadian banking system and not the
Zimbabwean banking system.  When I was in Russia in 1995, the banking
system and everything else was in chaos.  The ruble had fallen from
parity with the US$ to 500 rubles to the $.  This is not to say that the
value of the Canadian $ hasn't changed.  It has, but slowly enough to
permit most people to adjust.  When I was a student back in the 1950s I
spent my summers working on the log booms on the BC coast.  I was a top
rate boom man, earning $2.12 an hour!!  If I were a boom man now, my
union would have ensured that I would be getting many times that amount.
However, $2.12 was good enough in the 1950s.  It enabled me to earn
enough money to pay for my tuition, room and board and beer back then.

What I'm arguing is that a modern economy, to thrive, requires a soundly
administered banking system based on fiat money.  It is far to complex
and diverse to rely on digging up gold, on LETS or on single source
money such as government expenditures.  And yes, there will be abuses
but we have to live with them.  IMHO, people aren't moral by nature.
They're moral only if they have to be.  Getting back to Moscow in the
1990s, the place was in chaos because the rules under which people had
lived for some six or seven decades had fallen away.  People like the
nomenklatura and the oligarchs got very rich; everybody else got very
poor.  What Putin and his ex-KGB associates have done is imposed new
rules, step by step.

The video, via some of the quotes it uses, suggests a conspiracy
involving bankers, politicians and others in a position of power.  Well,
yes, that is likely the case.  Wherever there are gains to be made and
advantages to be taken, conspiratorial relations develop.  I've just
read John Perkin's "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" which documents
quite a few of them (truthfully, I hope).  So what.  We live with, and
try to improve, whatever we've got.  And when it comes to the monetary
system, I would far rather have ours than Zimbabwe's.

Ed

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=15209059/grpspId=1705083512/
msgId=6870/stime=1187190823/nc1=3858794/nc2=3848584/nc3=4776366>

__._,_.___
<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=15209059/grpspId=1705083512/
msgId=6871/stime=1187277983>

Social science book
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZTRtdm9wBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBF9wA
zEEZ3JwSWQDMTUyMDkwNTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNTEyBHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
Tg3Mjc3OTgz?t=ms&k=Social+science+book&w1=Social+science+book&w2=Online+
social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+course&w4=Social+science+degree&
w5=Social+science+education&c=5&s=143&g=0&.sig=fsKGf3NLFJj_jHYNUfZ6Sw>
Online social science degree
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZTZrdGxjBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBF9wA
zIEZ3JwSWQDMTUyMDkwNTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNTEyBHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
Tg3Mjc3OTgz?t=ms&k=Online+social+science+degree&w1=Social+science+book&w
2=Online+social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+course&w4=Social+scienc
e+degree&w5=Social+science+education&c=5&s=143&g=0&.sig=iucnsHjpr1y5nvEj
HlFS6Q>         Social science course
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZHNsOHFjBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBF9wA
zMEZ3JwSWQDMTUyMDkwNTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNTEyBHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
Tg3Mjc3OTgz?t=ms&k=Social+science+course&w1=Social+science+book&w2=Onlin
e+social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+course&w4=Social+science+degre
e&w5=Social+science+education&c=5&s=143&g=0&.sig=Tgl3WVUZeGUKz0BlHrbzpA>

Social science degree
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbDN1aG0yBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBF9wA
zQEZ3JwSWQDMTUyMDkwNTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNTEyBHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
Tg3Mjc3OTgz?t=ms&k=Social+science+degree&w1=Social+science+book&w2=Onlin
e+social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+course&w4=Social+science+degre
e&w5=Social+science+education&c=5&s=143&g=0&.sig=8lhlVhNtJN2h9kw8uWRbCA>
Social science education
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads;_ylc=X3oDMTJkb3NncDhyBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBF9wA
zUEZ3JwSWQDMTUyMDkwNTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNTEyBHNlYwNzbG1vZARzdGltZQMxM
Tg3Mjc3OTgz?t=ms&k=Social+science+education&w1=Social+science+book&w2=On
line+social+science+degree&w3=Social+science+course&w4=Social+science+de
gree&w5=Social+science+education&c=5&s=143&g=0&.sig=1qquJPygSIAmv6LnPeeA
kA>

Change settings via the Web
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ottawadissenters/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJndmpvcz
BnBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzE1MjA5MDU5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzUxMgRzZWMDZn
RyBHNsawNzdG5ncwRzdGltZQMxMTg3Mjc3OTgz>  (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Delivery:
Digest>  | Switch to Fully Featured
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Delivery Format: Fully Featured>
Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ottawadissenters;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMmFhZmVhBF9
TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzE1MjA5MDU5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzUxMgRzZWMDZnRyBHN
sawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTE4NzI3Nzk4Mw--> | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> | Unsubscribe
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]