Natalia wrote:
> I suspect you would prefer to answer this yourself.

I don't know...

> What I'm suggesting here is that one doesn't make much money off of
> interest paid by banks today, and those who have little money are
> basically paving the way for these institutions to create money on the
> bank charges alone.

Interest rates for giro accounts are low indeed, but even those with
little money can usually afford some bonds over a few years, which
still get around 4% here.

> Just yesterday I heard of a retired Canadian couple who got back $1400
> in bank charges because in Canada no one over sixty is supposed to pay
> regular banking fees.

There must be something wrong with Canadian banks...  Around here, a
"small guys" bank charges about $50/year for a bond deposit and with
the 4% even those with little money can reap over $1000.

But of course the banks make big profits with the difference between
giro interest rates and loan/housing interest rates, the latter being
10-20 times higher than the former...

Chris