In case some FWers have been tempted to eschew the relevance of Game
Theory, let me briefly explain the difference between ordinary (ludic)
games and game-theory games. Games theory is already proving of great
importance and will continue to be, as and when new games are discovered.

Ordinary games such as poker, chess, mah-jong are what are called zero-sum
games. There's always a winner and a loser. The sum of the results are
zero. Even if money is involved and it's a gambling game, nothing is gained
or lost at the end from the total of the initial assets of the
participants. (However, one might mention that mah-jong was once banned in
China for many years because too many sons of rich fathers gambled with
their family estates!)

In games theory (which could be called 'model theory' just as aptly) the
experiments usually involve non-zero-sum games. One participant's gain is
not necessarily another's loss. The gains and losses do not sum to zero.
Sometimes both participants gain from adopting appropriate strategies.
Trade is a good example of a non-zero-sum game.

Often these strategies involve co-operation between participants even
though, formally, they may be thought to be on opposite sides. (One example
of this is something that happened quite frequently in WW1 when English and
German snipers faced each other from trenches at quite close quarters.
Being continually harrassed by their respective officers to shoot as often
as possible, the shooters on both sides learned to aim at non-living
targets in the opposite trench. The German and English shooters were unable
to discuss this strategy with one another, of course, so they co-operated
by shooting at suitable targets repeatedly with great accuracy to show that
they weren't stray or random shots! While all this was going on, soldiers
on both sides could then afford to move about in their trenches with a
greater degree of safety than otherwise.)

(For those who are not acquainted with the WWI, I'll also mention that
ludic games were also played between German and English soldiers on one
Christmas Day. When their officers were not around they played football
against each other. Naturally both were playing to win this time! The
officers were apoplectic when they found out!)

If anybody wants to read a good book on the relevance of game theory in a
wide variety of situations, economic and otherwise, I recommend "Non Zero"
by Robert Wright, Little Brown, 2000)

(Oh well! while I'm at it, here's another war story involving an incident
in WW2 this time which has no relevance to any sort of game -- but just
shows how courteous English people are. This was told me by the soldier
concerned and concerns WW2. He'd parachuted down at the Battle of Arnhem
Bridge and was part of a temporary occupation of troops in the town. He'd
been placed on guard outside a house in the basement of which his officers
were pouring over maps and trying to decide what to do next. As my friend
stood outside the door, a German soldier walked up to him with his hands in
the air to surrender. My friend took his rifle from him (propped it up
against the door!) and then went down to the basement to ask his officer
what to do with the prisoner. "Oh we're too busy. Tell him to bugger off!"
So my friend went back and dutifully told the German soldier to leg it.
Then he called him back: "Here you are. You forgot your rifle.")

Keith Hudson

“Writers used to write because they had something to say; now they write in
order to discover if they have something to say.” John D. Barrow
Keith Hudson, Bath, England;  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]