From: Brian McAndrews [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 9:16 AM
To: Brad McCormick, Ed.D.
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Whistleblowers (was Re: The real frightener (was RE:
TaxHavens)

At 7:30 AM -0500 2002/03/01, Brad McCormick, Ed.D. wrote:
>Yes, we do live in a democracy, don't we?  That we have "superiors"
>is a fact to be dealt with by the psychic defense of "splitting" by
>which an external observer would be able to see that we hold two
>contradictory views at the same time but are able not to be
>aware of, or consequently, consciously troubled by it.

Hi Brad,
Orwell called this doublethink:

     One of the more profound realizations on the part of Eric Blair, who
  wrote under the pen name George Orwell, is first illustrated in this
  passage of his landmark dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four:

  The Party said that Oceania had never been in alliance with
  Eurasia. He, Winston Smith, knew that Oceania had been in alliance
  with Eurasia as short a time as four years ago. But where did that
  knowledge exist? Only in his own consciousness, which in any case
  must soon be annihilated. And if all others accepted the lie which
  the Party imposed -- if all records told the same tale -- then the
  lie passed into history and became truth. "Who controls the past,"
  ran the Party slogan, "controls the future: who controls the
  present controls the past." And yet the past, though of its nature
  alterable, never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true
  from everlasting to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was
  needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory.
  "Reality control," they called it: in Newspeak, "doublethink."
  His mind slid away into the labyrinthine world of doublethink. To
  know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness
  while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two
  opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and
  believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate
  morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was
  impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to
  forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back
  into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then
  promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same
  process to the process itself -- that was the ultimate subtlety:
  consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to
  become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed.
  Even to understand the word "doublethink" involved the use of
  doublethink.
    If you wish more visit:
  http://www.promethea.org/Misc_Compositions/Doublethink.html

Imagine exploring this novel with Gr. 12 students as well as watching
the films El Norte and Michael Moore's 'Roger and Me'. The more the
students understand the more they see school as Big Brother.

Am I biting the hand that feeds me?

Take care,
Brian McAndrews

*  Brian McAndrews, Practicum Coordinator        *
*  Faculty of Education, Queen's University      *
*  Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6                     *
*  FAX:(613) 533-6596  Phone (613) 533-6000x74937*
*  e-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]            *
*  "Education is not the filling of a pail,      *
*   but the lighting of a fire.                  *
*                 W.B.Yeats                      *