Hi Harry and Karen,

Let me take your third point first (the one I disagree with!):

At 10:45 23/07/02 -0700, you wrote:
<<<<
3. Things that happen in the stock market have little or no effect on the
economy.

I'll admit that shares are not prime movers in the economy -- as compared
with, say the rate of  innovation or investment -- but they have strong
secondary effects. A firm with falling share prices might find that its
collateral with the bank is insufficient and its loan called in -- leading
to bankruptcy. It would have difficulty issuing bonds, too. A pension fund
with too much of its funds invested in shares (as most have been in the
last decade or so) will have to reduce its payments to pensioners if share
values dive. (This has happened to several pensions funds in England
recently including some of the most reputable such as Equitable and Sun
Life, several more [now called the "walking dead"] have had to stop new
commitments, and many more are now below their safety limits and are only
kept alive by permission from the regulator [Financial Services Authority].)

(The steep and very deep 30% crash of '87 which you mention was a special
case. Computer-controlled buying and selling of shares according to pre-set
buy-sell limits  had become fashionable not long before then. It seemed at
the time a failsafe method of getting rich automatically. The stupidity
[and danger] of it was not realised until it was tripped off by a wave of
positive feedback which only stopped when all such shares had been sold [or
in some cases they pulled the plug!]. If all investors had operated in this
way, then all share prices would have declined to zero within another day
or two.)

But there's another more indirect effect which has become increasingly
important in the last couple of decades as shareholdings have become much
more widely held by the public (in America and England -- it's only just
beginning in Europe). This has not only already affected the pensions of
tens of millions of people (as mentioned above) but it means that although
panic is probably slower to happen in the first place, it becomes much more
powerful when it does happen and, through inertia and widespread
alienation, from the whole idea of investment -- or even saving in a
pension fund. Because of what's happened with English pension funds there's
the beginning of an investment strike going on right now -- something very
akin to what a lot of Japanese people are doing right now.

Now to your other points:

<<<<
1. We cannot protect ourselves from guerilla attack without so constricting
our freedoms that the guerrillas will have won anyway.

I agree. I am very uneasy about the inroads on personal freedom that Bush
is pushing for in America since September 11.

<<<<
2. Bush (and congress) cannot keep spending money the way they are without
seriously damaging (the somewhat unfounded) confidence in the dollar as a
stable reserve currency.

I agree. This has similar features to my mention of an 'investment strike'
as regards confidence. The US$ is now sinking. It was probably due to sink
in any case because the trade deficit had got so large. A gentle decline in
the dollar over a longish period would have benign effects on the US export
potential, and thus on the general economy. But a steep decline (as seems
to be happening now) bespeaks lack of confidence -- and possibly panic
later. Foreign investors (particularly European) are already pulling out of
the American economy. If they do so increasingly in the coming months then
American business will find it even more difficult to find working capital.

(Incidentally, I see that Paul Krugman in today's NYT is in agreement with
my view about the coming months/years. On the other hand, the Times
Economics Editor, Anatole Kalestsky, is quite blasé about the situation and
thinks that America will resume 2 - 3% growth quite soon.)

I'll cut the rest of your posting for brevity's sake if you don't mind. I'm
still not sure about the special "collectible" feature of land (in
distinction to other resources) but, as you know, I'm greatly in favour of
taxing land (and buildings) rather than income for three reasons:

1. The value of land depends essentially on the work and values of society
as a whole, not so much (and often not at all) on the virtues of the owner;

2. The ownership of land and buildings more accurately reflects the wealth
of individuals than income;

3. It's a more effective way of taxing criminals and the super-rich who can
cheat the taxman by evading the usual forms of taxation.

Keith

Keith Hudson, General Editor, Handlo Music, http://www.handlo.com
6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel: +44 1225 312622;  Fax: +44 1225 447727; mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]