Karen,

May I add my chip to the discussion between you and Harry? It's really a
matter of arithmetic.

Harry has made the point that where a special trade privilege exists a
relatively small number of individuals (business people or trade unions) in
one particular niche gain a great deal, whereas the much larger number of
consumers of its particular product are penalised -- though only by a small
amount in each case.

The cost of lobbying politicians for a particular privilege -- or in
opposing it -- is considerable. Individuals (business people or trade
unions) engage in it because, if successful, the pay-off is perceptible and
significant to each of them. In opposing a particular privilege, consumers
qua individuals wouldn't benefit to the same extent and it requires the
most extraordinary efforts by some of them to raise the funds from all of
them (or enough of them) sufficient to organise an effective lobby at
governmental level.

In any particular case the initiative always lies with those who seek
special privileges, and the consumer is always fighting -- or trying to
fight -- a rearguard action. The result is, as Harry frequently reminds us
with cogent examples, is that there are many products and services which
are overpriced because special privileges have been granted. Although the
over-pricing may be considered to be modest in the case of each product,
when all are totted up in the average consumer's weekly/yearly expenditure,
then it's considerable.

All this has been pointed out by James Buchanan (Nobel Prizewinner 1986),
Mancur Olson and others -- the so-called "public choice" school of post-war
economists -- and this arithmetic of lobbying costs and benefits is now
accepted by most economists who have been trained in the last 30 years or
so. I'm sure, too, that almost all politicians -- intelligent people on the
whole -- are intellectually convinced of the advantage of free trade but,
of course, if a special interest group in their own constituency is
claiming a privilege then they're obliged in most instances to support it
or else face the possibility of not being re-elected.

Keith

At 14:36 10/08/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Harry, it just doesn't seem that most voters understand the give and take of
>free vs protected trade.  Either the labor unions take all the blame or the
>politicians do when a local economy is affected on the negative side. . .
. [etc]

Keith Hudson, General Editor, Handlo Music, http://www.handlo.com
6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel: +44 1225 312622;  Fax: +44 1225 447727; mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]