From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf
Of Harry Pollard
Sent: August 4, 2002 5:04 PM
To: Michael Gurstein; Solaris@mail. sarai. net; Futurework@Scribe.
Uwaterloo. Ca
Subject: [solaris]Re: FW: good articles on the "public information
commons"

Mike,

Hardin did a good job of emphasizing the "commons". However, tragedy only
intervenes when we don't accept the common ownership - which implies common
management,  or we allow some to grab the commons for themselves.

The English village commons worked very well. If one of the villagers
brought in extra geese - more than was deemed proper - the other villagers
would have a word with him.

That's all.

At least until the Enclosures Acts. First an Act for each common - then a
General Enclosures Act to prove the efficiency of the assembly line.

Thus were the commons grabbed - legally, and with everything aboveboard
just like Enron.

The importance of managing the commons has particular relevance to handling
wild animals, such as elephants and whales, and saving from harm such
resources as fishing grounds. These are common resources - commons.

When we  start recognizing our equal ownership rights to such commons and
set up a management process, the commons will become a triumph rather than
a tragedy.

Harry Pollard
Henry George School of LA
Box 655