In the spirit of Marshall McLuhan, we know that
changes in technology do not simply add more
of the same kinds of things that we already had
lots of, to the same world in which all those
things were what they were.  Changes in
technology "change everything", including
transforming the old things even when they
leave them "untouched".

The example I previously used was a bit
lacking: I would say that, in 2000, it simply
was not possible for a physician to *rush*
to attend to a patient --> in his
horse and buggy.  The same horse and
the same buggy that in 1900 would have been
the fastest way for the doctor to rush to the
patient would, in 2000, probably result in
the doctor losing his license.

But in today's Washington Post there was a far better
example: Advances in medical technology
have been found to be a major factor in
lowering the homocide rate.

How? By transforming what previously would have been
homocides into assaults where the victim leaves the
hospital after a few days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6728-2002Aug11.html

No change in the perpetrators' intentions.
No change in the criminal acts.  But now
the acts are no longer what they were, and the
proof of the pudding is in the eating: the
crime is now assault and not homocide.

McLuhan's "the medium is the message" was really:

    The message of a communication medium is the
    change in the pace, pattern and scale which
    it imposes on life.

Or, to sort of paraphrase Foucault: Technology is ontology.

[Alas, it has proven easier to metamorphose murders
into assaults than to disalienate labor....]

Obviously, I was "struck" by the article....

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Visit my website ==> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/