Ahhh, but no one has really defined just how long the long run is.....

arthur

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Evans Harrell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 10:06 AM
To: futurework
Subject: Doing it right!

To Paul Krugman, NYTimes
A student just came in commenting that the leader of Charles Schwab just
said that the Stock Market in the long run is still the best deal going.
She then told me that she had an IRA for seven years that had made less than
$600.     How can you economists make such comments?

You are the best and the most honest as I read it but if this is the best
the American economic minds can produce then it is a pretty sorry product.
The system killed the arts, when compared to the rest of the world, while
stimulating the Arts in Europe to combat communism.    Is there some kind of
hidden logic to all of this (like that) that we all don't get or know about?

Ray Evans Harrell,
Private Performing Arts Teacher for 30 years in NYCity.

P.S.  If I don't do it right, my last lesson is truly my last lesson.

August 13, 2002
Clueless in Crawford
By PAUL KRUGMAN

oday, in its Waco economic forum, the Bush administration will try to
convince the country that everything is under control - that the economy is
mending, that "shady" business practices are no longer a problem. To that
end a carefully chosen audience will listen to speeches by administration
officials and selected models of corporate probity. Among the speakers
announced last week was John T. Chambers, C.E.O. of Cisco Systems.
They really don't get it, do they? One could hardly have picked a better
example of what's wrong with the administration's whole approach.
Two years ago Cisco was the world's most valuable company, with a market
capitalization of more than $500 billion. Mr. Chambers was among the world's
best-paid executives, receiving $157 million in 2000. Cisco was perceived as
a company that combined new-economy glitz with old-fashioned solidity, that
was on the cutting edge but made real products and earned real profits.
In short, people thought about Cisco the same way they thought about Enron.
That's not a strained comparison. Even when Cisco was riding high, an
analysis in Barron's dubbed it the "New Economy Creative Accounting
Exemplar." The company's specialty was using its own overvalued stock as
currency - paying its employees with stock options, acquiring other
companies by issuing more stock. Thanks to loopholes in the accounting
rules - loopholes defended with intense lobbying - these transactions
allowed executives to progressively dilute the stake of their original
shareholders, without ever declaring this dilution as a business cost.
The resulting illusion of profitability sustained the stock price, making
more questionable deals possible. Some analysts flatly called Cisco a
pyramid scheme.
When Enron's financial house of cards collapsed, $80 billion of market value
vanished. Cisco hasn't collapsed, but its market capitalization has fallen
by more than $400 billion. Nobody from Cisco management - ranked No. 13 in
Fortune's "greedy bunch" - has been arrested. But then neither has anyone
from Enron.
Some cynics attribute the continuing absence of Enron indictments to the
Bush family's loyalty code. But the alternative explanation is both innocent
and chilling: Enron executives may have deluded and defrauded their
shareholders without actually breaking the law. What Cisco did was
definitely legal.
Since Enron collapsed, administration officials have insisted that no new
laws are needed to reform corporate America, only enforcement of existing
laws. The administration endorsed a bill imposing modest reforms in
accounting only after doing everything it could to block it. And as soon as
the bill was passed, the administration began issuing "guidance" to federal
prosecutors that will undermine the law's intent on whistle-blower
protection, document shredding and more. Officials clearly still think the
old law was good enough.
But the Cisco story, like the absence of Enron indictments, demonstrates
just how much self-enrichment corporate insiders can get away with while
staying within the letter of the law. The handful of executives who have
been arrested aren't masterminds - on the contrary, given the legal ways
other executives got rich while their stockholders lost billions, the
perp-walkers should be featured on a special corporate edition of "America's
Dumbest Criminals."
Now the administration is sounding the all clear - we've passed a bill,
we've arrested five people, it's all over. But the work of reconstructing
corporate America has barely begun.
The next step, surely, is dealing with stock options. It's not just that
companies overstate their profits by failing to count options as an expense.
Huge grants of options also give executives an incentive to do whatever it
takes to produce a short-term bump in the stock price - if one year of
illusory success can net you $157 million, who cares what happens later?
Byron Wien of Morgan Stanley recently told a group of security analysts that
"stock options malevolence" is at the root of corporate scandal, and that
"anyone who says that stock options aren't an expense destroys his
credibility on all other issues." Well, Mr. Chambers's company still refuses
to count stock options as an expense. The administration has said that it
opposes rules that would require Cisco to change its accounting, and the
choice of Mr. Chambers as a speaker seems to be a reaffirmation of that
position.
As I said, they just don't get it.