From: Jan Matthieu [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 8:17 PM
To: Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; Keith Hudson; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Sometime soon? (was RE: Next 11 September

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 7:54 PM

> See also
>
> http://www.debka.com/
>
> Prince Saud's Tit for Tat - A Spurious Exercise
> DEBKAfile Special Analysis
> 12 August:

Debka is one of the sites I have been following for more than a year now.
Sometimes they seem have info you don't find elsewhere. Of course they are
very pro-Zionist and anti-Arafat, but then, when you know, you take that
into account. It is certainly wise to consider all sources, not just
left-wing. But debka is using a number of tricks that are very
unprofessional. For example they make all sorts of claims without ever
revealing a source, and when the claims don't come out they just remain
silent about it (I'm thinking of the thousands of Chinese soldiers who would
have been fighting on the side of the taliban at one time; it never
materialized and they never mentioned it again, strange? It happens all the
time.) I could do the same, claim I have secret sources and predict some
major suicide attack is going to happen in israel. Not difficult, given the
fact these are happening almost weekly. Debka is interesting but unreliable,
but it sure as hell is many times worth the time reading I would waste on
reading the stuff on whateveritwasthatreallyhappenedaccordingtocertainpeople
dot com. with  the Israeli did it, Osama had nothing to do with it and
everyone had just been waiting to attack afghanistan because they wanted to
build that pipeline nonsense, it's just tiring and it leaves one nothing
wiser. If I want to learn this kind of stuff I can go to the local pub,
where they all have their personal idea of who's responsible for those
attacks.

RAND.
> I don't have a great opinion of RAND's political analysis generally,
finding
> it sadly superficial and commercial, but in all fairness to RAND, I don't
> think we can blame the organization for this one-person show. I see the
> presentation (made to Perle's advisory group) as being part of the
concerted
> effort to demonize Saudi Arabia.
> >>>>

> I suppose the fact that the report used language such as "evil" betrays a
> single author. I didn't know that. I assumed it was a typical Rand
> think-tank report. Nevertheless, I can't imagine that the report was
> without some foundation or else it wouldn't have proceeded further.

You would be surprised how some unfounded or distorted stories can proceed!

<cut>
> The reaction in most instances has taken the form of falling back to an
> intensely puritanical form of Islam as the only way of retaining their
> dignity and self-respect. We've seen this fairly recently in the case of
> the rapid rise of the Taliban in Afghanistan -- which, I suggest, is far
> from being defeated (I notice, most women are still wearing burkas!)

I think this last bit is silly, I'm sorry. The Taliban, as everyone who
is even a bit informed of recent and older history, knows, were essentially
a Pakistan directed invasion force, led by pakistani military officers with
the aim to create a Pakistan friendly Pashtun-controlled Afghanistan which
would not claim back the Pashtun part of Pakistan, due to be returned to
Afghanistan in 1994, according to the 1893 peace treaty with the British
after the second Afghan war, in
much the same way Hong Kong had been leased from China for a century (and
WAS in fact returned to its rightful 'owners'). The Taliban had very little
real popular support, except maybe in the southernmost provinces, and even
there...
They are defeated all right, but Al Qaeda isn't.
But what the fact that most women are 'still' wearing burkas has to do with
the Taliban I don't
know. Women have been wearing burkas in Afghanistan since time immemorial,
or at least for the last millennium; I was five times in the country on
longer visits and I can assure you that, except for the large cities and
even there
certain educated and westernized women, they all have been wearing them
burkas and I see no reason why they all of a sudden would stop the practice
because the
law permits now not to wear them. In the seventhies there was no law
enforcing burkas, and the large majority of women, or rather every women in
the countryside wore
them, especially in the southern parts. As a matter of fact, practically the
only female  faces I remember having seen in Afghanistan in those good old
days before 1973 when the commies fucked up the regional balance arranging a
coup against the king, were those of girls and of hostesses for airlines and
government burocracy secretaries.

> In other words, remembering that 15 of the 19 terrorists of September 11
> were Saudis, there is the distinct danger that another Al Qaeda attack
will
> almost certainly occur given the fanaticism of many young men who've been
> indoctrinated from an early age. How can Bush do otherwise than get enough
> troops into the Middle East to be on hand if Saudi Arabia goes even more
> extremist than now? The American public would never forgive him. He only
> just got away with it since 11 September, considering that a great deal
was
> known, or suspected, about Al Qaeda long before then. (A new attack by Al
> Qaeda, even if Osama bin Laden is dead, is even more likely today than
ever
> before, considering that the Israeli situation is worsening.) Bush can't
> come out with his real reason for sending troops because that itself would
> probably spark off a revolution in SA -- and, just as seriously, intensify
> the Al Qaeda network in Iran (where, according to the last Sunday
Telegraph
> they have recently established training camps).

Yup, I agree with that possibility. I actually told my minister last
year, a couple of weeks after 11/9, that the real problem was Saudi Arabia
for mostly those reasons.  But
I'm not so sure the fundamentalists are as strong over there as is generally
suggested. There is also quite some Saudi who are not that stupid and
actually want their children to get a real education.

> As I've suggested before, unless anything dramatic happens before then, I
> think that Bush will announce troop movements to Kuwait on September 11
> coming -- to great public acclaim -- and will keep on building those up
> (and the Qatar airbase) until King Fahd dies and a succession is brought
> about -- either peacefully or not. If the succession is peaceful and Saudi
> Arablia seems to be stable (and more friendly to the US) then Bush *might*
> start to move against Iraq. But that itself might spark off a revolution
in
> SA.

That sounds a bit too much like debka-talk.

> Almost whatever scenario is envisaged, something near to catastrophic loss
> of life will almost certainly occur in the Middle East in the fairly
> nearish future. Given the present administration, America can do no other
> in order to protect its oil supplies. It would require a President of
> extraordinary stature and persuasiveness to chart a different peaceful
> course. Even so, such a President would still have to accept that the
nasty
> regimes of Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, etc -- particularly nasty as to
> half their populations (their womenfolk) -- would have to continue for at
> least two or three generations longer before their culture changes to
> anything approaching a fair and decent society.

There is a lot of truth there too; I wonder, I would love to see muslim
society achieve enlightenment, or at least modernity. The sufi are their
best hope. Only if that timing is right, I'll be like 111 by the time they
do...

> <<<<
> Your description of the British who are in jail caught me by surprise; I
> hadn't realized that they had been there so long or under the conditions
you
> describe. There is an incongruence here; it has notbeen a Saudi pattern to
> treat foreigners the way you describe, and so I am wondering whether there
> might not be more to the story than we know?
> >>>>

>From all I heard, most Saudi have been treating foreign workers with a lot
of contempt and generally badly. Only this time it is British who are the
victims, and that is another kind of foreigner. To me it only shows they are
now more consistent in their misuse of their foreign workers.  Before they
only mistreated mostly Filipino and Sri Lankan workers; of course females
are habitually mistreated as they do with every female (I allow for the
occasional exception), but they abuse men too, after all, they are
miscreants. It's the same kind of racism white man has practiced during the
colonial time and even today in many places.

Jan Matthieu