Interesting post, Bill.
I would dearly love to know the name of the organization paying American
Jews to migrate to Israel. If you have that information, I would much
appreciate it.  I read last month that even during all the bombings this
summer that over 40 families had moved this year, and wondered if they were
group sponsored.
Christian fundamentalists accept the finality and literal truth of each word
of the Bible.  They have made the philosophical leap of faith that the
secular world's laws are not their first loyalty.  Many Fundamentalist
Christians really resent Caesar, after all, and pine away for the heavenly
kingdom that should have been accomplished on earth. This reveals some of my
deep cynicism about the faith of my fathers.
So too many operate, like planetary immigrants, under secular authority but
recognizing only the heavenly authority. Moving God's chosen people to God's
chosen land is but their faithful way of helping to fulfill the prophesies,
and no better than a teenage video-game enthusiast living in a fantasy world
of Sony's creation.
Generally speaking, the rise of fundamentalism is partially explained as a
human reaction away from the complexity of modern life; many CONVERTS to the
more fundamental denominations in America in recent decades have chosen a
way of life that makes decisions for them (ie. Jehovah's Witness and even
Mormons, but not to overlook the stricter minor evangelicals).  Families
become social club members in an organization that not only welcomes them
into close fellowship, not something to be trivialized, but has membership
rules and guidelines that take the work - and chance of failure - out of
myriad decisions that all too many "liberal arts" educated parents find
impossible to navigate in life.  If you raise a child under the strict
guidelines your church provides you but the child rebels, you might believe
his rebellion stems from not following God's laws, not because you are a
negligent or abusive parent.
There are a lot of reasons for this mass nervous breakdown, not just in the
lower classes. As Western society evolved at an even faster rate in the 20th
century, we left behind the familiar parameters of our parents and
grandparents restrictions and hard-earned lessons. Space travel, for one, is
a symbolic departure for a new generation that some, if not all the old
rules no longer automatically apply.
In my opinion, both in the West and in the Asian and Islamic cultures,
fundamentalism is tied to class struggle, to losing out, and to be
overwhelmed IN ADDITION TO being a real spiritual revival for many.
Karen
Bill wrote:
Keith,

I agree with your view that increased fundamentalism is evidence of
decline. In addition, fundamentalists have been working on aggrandizement
of wealth. The Christian right justifies accumulation of wealth as having
been blessed by Jesus for good works.

With fundamentalism growing rapidly among Muslims [also the fastest
growing large religion in the World] and Christians, what about Jews?  I
believe that the same thing is happening with Jews as well. What is scary
here is that we could always rely on the small Jewish minority in the
past to challenge right wing excesses.

What staggers my mind is the willingness of Jews to accept support from
right wing Christians who see Israel as biblical prophesy fulfilled.
Christians see this as an end of world fulfillment. There is even a group
of right wing Christians paying Jews to move to Israel from the US. What
is the symbolism there?

Any Christian [even the left wing types like myself] who talks to other
Christians is aware of latent anti-Jewishness in the Christian right wing
and knows that their support for Israel has nothing to do with love of
Jews. Also scary is the accession of Ariel Sharon to leadership in Israel
at the cost of the peace efforts of Rabin and Barak, truly 2 men of
peace. Even though I would love to see Saddaam out of Iraq [he
assassinated a friend of mine], the current right wing Christian/right
wing Jewish coalition is moving with such speed that it has even
frightened a lot of conservative Republican leaders.

Bill Ward