[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> WORTH THINKING ABOUT: THE DISAPPEARANCE OF CHILDHOOD
>       Media critic and philosopher Neil Postman writes:
>
>       "One might say that the main difference between an adult and a child
> is that the adult knows about certain facets of life -- its mysteries, its
> contradictions, its violence, its tragedies -- that are not considered
> suitable for children to know. As children move toward adulthood, we reveal
> these secrets to them in ways we believe they are prepared to manage.
[snip]

What do we mean by "childhood innocence"?

Do we mean that somehow we trick children into
not only not masturbating but not even knowing
that they wanted to pleasure themselves?

Sorry to be so blunt about it, but I speak from
[denial-of- and less-than-]experience.

Is competing for grades, and possibly failing an
authentic part of childhood innocence?

Again, sorry to point out the elephant I seem
to see standing in the center of the small room
we all are in.

I expect there can also be genuinely "facilitating"
forms of childhood "innocence".  But, if I had
childhood to do over again, I'd like to enjoy my
body and not "enjoy" being graded in the natural
place of childhood play called school.

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Visit my website ==> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/