Ray,

At 09:28 28/08/02 -0400, you wrote:
>From an otherwise excellent examination of the issues you wrote:

I don't know what you mean by the above comment. I'm not exactly endorsing
Bush's Middle East policy. Just describing the realpolitik as I see it.

Keith

>> You wrote "I can't be sure it's true". I can't be sure either either but,
>> dangerous though Bush's present policy is, it seems to me that inaction by
>> Bush is even more dangerous (that is, from Bush's point of view concerning
>> the American economy). There might have been other ways of tackling the
>> whole issue of the Middle East earlier this year, but I think that the
>> American administration concluded that peaceful culture change in the
>> Muslim countries is impossible. There has to be revolution within Saudi
>> Arabia, Iran, Iraq and other oil-bearing Muslim countries, in order to
>> split the religion and the state -- similar to Kemal Ataturk's in Turkey
>in
>> 1928. (Ominously, there are signs that Turkey itself is now slipping back
>> into Islam-dominated politics.)
>>
>> I'm not excluding the possibility that Americans troops will invade Iraq.
>> This is quite probable, in fact, given the momentum of Bush's propaganda,
>> but it will be slow and careful (and probably stop well within the
>southern
>> Shia Muslim region), making sure that there will always be sufficient
>> American troops available on the SA border to support the modernists in SA
>> if they are necessary.
>

>More killing of old people, women and children.   The military solution must
>become the admittance of the failure of culture.    The culture of the
>aggressor.    We are all predators for we must eat one another but
>civilization is our only hope for salvation from the base nature of our
>being.    I have no problems with admitting the predator, I just don't
>believe that anyone who is given power deserves being called a human being
>until they rise above the blunt use of military force to prove their point.
>We have much too much available to us as alternatives.   We now have the
>ability to answer every fanatic on the planet with genuine information.
>Suppression is not the answer.    Only information.    Pay your soldiers to
>go to school and then work on the internet fighting with words, every single
>fanatic they can find.    Unfortunately we all suffer from the Kudzu and
>killer bee syndrome.     Both the vine and the bee are invaders of our
>territory that will probably eventually ruin our forests.     We refuse to
>get our hands dirty fighting them but choose instead to simply measure the
>progress and hope they won't like cold weather.    If it can't be cheaply
>met with the economy of scale we won't do it and there in lies the problem.
>The battle for hearts and minds must be fought by individuals who are more
>sophisticated and smarter than the wealthy dilettantes who turn their people
>into the same kind of fodder that our industrialists would like for them to
>be.    Enough!
>
>Ray Evans Harrell

Keith Hudson, General Editor, Handlo Music, http://www.handlo.com
6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
Tel: +44 1225 312622;  Fax: +44 1225 447727; mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]