I had an experience like this too, Ed.  Building huge laminated beams at a
Weyerhauser plant in Oregon.  Had just finished university and had a great
time, lugging lumber around, slinging 30 lb iron tierods around endlessly,
and pounding down on the beams with a 60 lb weight until everthing was lined
up right.  I got into terrific shape real quick, slept every spare moment
when I wasn't on the job or courting my wife-to-be.  So it was a great
summer--that's all it was. BUT I think it would have been a gruesome
long-term job, with very little upward mobility or alternatives.  The other
workers were long-termers, and you could see the go-nowhere reality of it
all etched on their faces and dripping in their tones of voice.  They put
up, barely, with the university kid who was going on to big things. I
appreciated their patience and kindness, and do so even more today.

Lawry