-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Pollard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 12:35 PM
To: Brad McCormick, Ed.D.; Ray Evans Harrell
Cc: Mantle, Rosalyn; Anthony, David; Bradskey, Teresa; Cole, Karen
Watters; Dawn Anthony; Downs , Jason; Dunn, Darcy; H, Joan; harrell,
jane; Krueger, Jack A.; Sagowa; Sleigh, Ben and Roz; Watters, Valorie;
futurework
Subject: Re: Whining ("Stop it! And say: 'Thank you'! .... )

I explained the Invisible Hand, Brad, but maybe you didn't read it.

When people are allowed freely to trade, each side of the exchange will be
better off. When everyone is free to exchange (and is therefore better
off)  the whole community  (as if by an invisible hand) will be better off.

Now the alternative to being allowed freely to trade, is not being allowed
freely to trade. In other words, coercion of some kind takes the place of
freedom.

Your "fair price" has popped up often in history and is always advocated by
the powerful at the expense of the people. A "fair price" ( like "fair
trade") is no more than the general populace being forced to pay more than
they want to.

People will not pay the "fair price" - which is really an unfair price -
unless they are made to by police of some kind. So, Brad when you sneer at
the invisible hand, you are viewing contemptuously a free people making
their own decisions.

Ray said he would buy gas from his neighborhood Indian friend - even though
he was more expensive. Well, in a free system, you may buy from whomsoever
you wish. He probably feels happy with himself for putting family and
loyalty before saving money. In a free system he may enjoy doing this. Like
him, I wouldn't buy from Exxon. Exxon gas is too expensive.

You call it "trying to squeeze the last little bit of blood out of each of
us turnips". In the real world, outside the fevered landscape of your
imagination, it is called "sales". Millions of Americans chase after the
lowest prices at their stores. My son went to Fry's "One Day Sale"
yesterday to buy a computer case with power supply for $25 dollars - with
a  $25 mail-in rebate. (Only about 14% actually claim their rebates which
is why this works for the store.) He spent about 75 minutes getting in the
store and an hour getting out through the cashier.

But everyone was happy with their bargains and their is a lot of
camaraderie among the bargain hunters. Not a bad experience and he saved
the $35-$40 he would have had to earn in order to get$25 in his pocket. He
told me that a 27" TV complete with a VHS recorder was $297 - which looks
pretty good to me.

I'm sure that if you had explained to the happy crowd that they were
squeezing "the last little bit of blood" out of the Fry's turnip, they
would have looked at you in the way you deserved to be looked at.

Then you grandiosely declaim that "in a world in which all human relations
have been reduced to exchange relations" without fully understanding what
you are writing. All human relations are exchange relations.

In the very best free society, we cooperate with each other without outside
restriction. E-Mail lists are good examples of exchanging information,
opinion, and ideological truths (also ideological lies, but that's
something for the consumer to handle).

I don't know why you brought in the nuclear power bit. I haven't bought a
nuclear power plant in years. It6 seems to me that you are inclined to
bring in examples of things which are part of the industrial/governmental
complex - then vent your spleen on them as if they were free market
operations. You say that the procurement process "leads in the long run to
total disorientation and inability to function".

So, that's the problem with government operations. Thank you for the
explanation. But it has nothing to do with the free market - or the
invisible hand.

You then segue to travelling by air. Back in the days you mention, flying
was mostly the province of the wealthy and those getting trips paid for by
their companies. Then the airlines were de-regulated and competition - as
you call it 'squeezing the turnip' - reared its ugly head.

Guess what happened - the great unwashed found air fares were cheap enough
for them to fly. Of course this was terrible for the elite who used to do
the flying. I've heard them complaining and wishing the old days were back
- where fares were higher, but they didn't have to rub shoulders with the
hoi polloi.

Competition is still somewhat thwarted by the Airport Gate system, but it
is better than it was.

Meantime, if you were to pay $1,200 while the seat next to you went for
$200, I would say you made a grievous error (unless like Ray you bought the
ticket because you prize "family and loyalty above saving a few pennies").

You see the free market doesn't supply a mummy or daddy to take care of
you. You have to take care of yourself. Lick your wounds and next time you
fly try to do it for $150.

---

\brad mccormick

Harry Pollard